HDD got super hot and melted ribbon cable

Jan 7, 2019
So, my laptop (Asus FML555L) wasn't booting correctly... it would go to BIOS and then there would be no boot options and then it would eventually boot.... so while it was booted I tried to create a boot/repair disc for a USB and an Ubuntu bootable... neither seemed to work... so I popped open the laptop and fiddled with the HD for some reason (thought it might be a poor connection I guess, since it would boot sometimes but go to BIOS others)...

WELL... I all of a sudden notice it's super hot on my right palm and the HDD is running SUPER hot and actually MELTING the ribbon cable that runs over it.

Any clue why that happened? I got a new ribbon cable and am going to try to see if I can fix that same HDD, but I'm kind of wary. Should I just try to put Win10 on another HDD and trash that one? I think the ribbon cable might have to run a certain direction... did I mess that up? IDK what I'm doing so I don't want to mess anything up further.

Lutfij

Splendid
I can't seem to find anything under Asus FML555L, are you sure you listed the right model? Since this forum's primary mode of communication is via text, there's only so much you can do without the aid of an image. Please host an image of the issue, you've stated, on imgur and pass on a link here. We can move forward from there.

Jan 7, 2019

The model is F555L. I was making a joke because it's been such a headache for me these years.

There's really nothing to photograph I don't think. The melted ribbon cable got thrown away. I guess I could take a pic of the empty HD caddy.