HDD vs SSD juice...

nikorr

Distinguished
Hi

I would like to know if an SSD make a significant difference in the longer battery life between recharging again.

Example:
HDD lasts for web browsing and some music playing 6 hrs

SSD last -//- playing 8 hrs

Thanx

Solution
I did the swap in my gaming laptop and did not notice a significant difference. I think I may have gotten an extra 10-20 minutes. System performance was the big difference I noticed. If you want longer battery life in a laptop, contact the manufacturer and see about buying an extended life battery if they make them for your particular model.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The lower powered a system is the more of a difference in battery life a SSD would make. For a gaming laptop the battery life wouldn't be affected much. For a netbook there would be a pretty big difference.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I did the swap in my gaming laptop and did not notice a significant difference. I think I may have gotten an extra 10-20 minutes. System performance was the big difference I noticed. If you want longer battery life in a laptop, contact the manufacturer and see about buying an extended life battery if they make them for your particular model.

Solution

nikorr

Distinguished

I'd say, the HDD's are very efficient, even when compare with SSD. Having said that, there is no performance comparison.

I am a bit disappointed, that it is not a stronger performer in the power saving territory.

I guess the CPU and GPU is a major case here.

randomizer

Distinguished
You can have the HDD shut down when not in use. Obviously this is no good when watching movies, but for surfing the web it's doable. You'd just need to have your browser cache, cookies and... well, everything... on a RAM disk.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
A HDD uses something like 10W. A SSD uses something like 2-3W. What does that mean for your battery? Like others have said, maybe a few more minutes per charge. But a SSD has many more benefits than just using less energy, it also loads your OS and apps a lot more quickly.

If your primary goal is battery life, small screen, no gpu, efficient cpu are your friend. HDDs just don't use enough power where switching to a SSD is going to be a meaningful gain. Your money is much better spent buying a spare battery.

nikorr

Distinguished

I had just that, I love RAM disc for lots of things.

I don't have the laptop anymore, I just thought how it goes these days with SSD's. I will get one or maybe some tablet if I like any of them.

Thanx randomizer.

Pyree

Distinguished
The_Prophecy, is your SSD sandforce based?

I didn't get people saying that sandforce based SSD improves battery life, but they do say Intel's does increase battery life.

Sorry nikorr, I have sandforce SSD and on 1 HDD, 1 SSD configuration so I really don't know what battery is like with an SSD.

nikorr

Distinguished

Yeah, I just thought - no moving parts = way better battery life. I guess the CPU/GPU is 85% of the power consumption.