Solved! HDD wiped by virus. What now?

Feb 4, 2018
So, I was dumb and I used the internet irresponsibly. That part has already passed. I believe I have contained and removed the threat with Malwarebites and Avast. However, the damage is done. I have an SSD with my OS (Windows 10) on it, and a 1tb HDD which I use for storage (music, games, photos, etc.). I'm looking for a way to restore my files, if possible.

Nothing was immediately apparent when I installed what I think is the program in question. Only when I started exploring my folders, and seeing that none of the files were there did I realize something was wrong. Initially the folders were still all in place, just empty. I gave Windows recovery a shot (realizing that it was unlikely to work), and it required a restart. The recovery failed (it could not locate a file), and at this point I'm unable to even access the drive. (it appears on my list of drives, with a little question mark on the icon).

I realize that I've screwed up, so please don't lecture me on safe computing practices. I'm just hoping there's a way to recover the files I've lost.

Thanks in advance

Edit: My SSD with my OS has, so far, not be affected as far I can tell.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Download (on another computer) and then boot from THIS free version of Kaspersky rescue disk 10. Let it update if it wants and then run it on all drives. Kill anything it quarantines then boot back into Windows if you can, which you usually can. Then run another antivirus to insure you got everything, which this usually does.

Then backup your desired files, wipe the drives and do a clean reinstall of the OS/programs and data to clear up all the damage done. This is the fastest and most reliable way to insure that everything is clean and functional.

Feb 4, 2018

Thank you for the quick answer. Just to clarify your instructions:
Download, install and update the Kapersky program on another computer.
Remove both of my drives and install them into the other computer with Kapersky on it, run it, and quarantine and delete everything it finds.
Run another antivirus to double-check
Format both drives and re-install my OS

Do I have it right?

RealBeast

Distinguished
You usually need to download it on another computer and create the boot CD or USB stick -- your computer actually boots off its Linux based OS and then gives you the option to update the database, which should be up to date since you are just making it. Then you simply hit the button to scan everything. I've found a lot of hidden stuff with it and it is a useful tool when your computer won't boot from a virus/malware.

It cleans and does some repair, but you really need a new installation of Windows to fix all the broken stuff in the registry that most viruses cause.

I always double check after with something else, but have never found any residual. Yes after backing up your data, just wipe everything and do a clean re-installation of Windows and the data.

I've cleaned many computers with it and the best part -- its free and works well.

tm8000

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I believe the Kapersky program should be loaded onto a disk or USB drive. Then you boot the PC from it and follow the instructions provided by RealBeast.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Correct, and the download page has links to comprehensive directions, quite easy to use.

takochako

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

When you boot using Windows, it can make it easier for viruses and malware to hide and preserve themselves by hiding in system files. If you boot from the USB with the Kaspersky tool on it, it can perform a deeper check and cleaning. Sort of like chkdsk. The tool can be useful if your OS is affected, but it is also useful even if it isn't affected.

USAFRet

Illustrious

As far as you can tell.
Unless these drives where never ever running in the same system at the same time, they are suspect.

Do you want it fixed, or do you want to continue with a possibly infected system?

Boot from a AV USB or DVD. Kaspersky, BitDefender, whoever.
Use that to clean the system.

Feb 4, 2018
It was a faulty SATA cable. I replaced it and everything was back to normal. I ran all of the security software I had and all of them came back clean.

Thank you for all of your help.

Solution