HDMI 1.4 Includes Ethernet, 2-Way Audio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Great... more business for monoprice and their quality hdmi cables on the cheap. No matter how great the "cable" standards are... I await for wireless component connection. Till then it's more tangled cables in the box.

mrhappy50

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
@ michaelahess

Im with you there, for the all-in-one fiber-optic cable. that would be nice. But noooo some companies have to do things the complicated way. make the damn entertainment center filled with cables. UGGG.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
It seems silly to me to add all these different options to HDMI. Why not just add USB to it, and then you can move whatever you want over the USB channel? (Ethernet, 2-way audio, more USB, data, etc).

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i could give two shits and a baboon's wanker , about HDMI 1.4 it still wont change my buying habbits .. saving money right nwo to plop down on a 42" LCD hdtv and i'm ntoa bout to worrya bout some new stupid cable format , i mean shit don't we have enough formats already???? (coaxial , RCA, s-video , Component, HDMI-1.0-1.3) , and now whooopie HDMI 1.4!!! im so excited i can barely contain my yawn... yes i knwo im on3e of those giuys taht quite illogically tries to hold on to older tech as long as possible , hell im stil on an old widescreen CRT tv (aka standard old def) and I JUST NOW went out and graped myself my first componet cable for my 360 , and i've had the TV for about 6 years now LOL probably ue teh component calbe on the lcd im gonna get. damn new calbes are to dang expensive any way.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
So next year a surround receiver must be able to deliver sound, video and ethernet over a hdmi cable? Hmm. My receiver's still only 5.1 and supports only composite video and no ethernet... but I probably won't replace it anyway.

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]mrhappy50[/nom]@ michaelahess Im with you there, for the all-in-one fiber-optic cable. that would be nice. But noooo some companies have to do things the complicated way. make the damn entertainment center filled with cables. UGGG.[/citation]

unfortunately there is a safety concern with the fiber optic cables - if you cut one open chances are you'll get hundreds of tiny pieces of glass stuck in your hand - too small for X rays to detect.

but then again, they could have fixed that problem already- you just never know these days....one day a problem...the next day fixed...or vice versa...
but DAMN do i hope they fix the problem quick...

G

Did they drop the hdcp bull$h1t? No one's going to copy over a cable...
This new specification will not have access to Dolby TrueHD but my current setup does? I know a bump up on resolution would be nice but when will anyone need that resolution on a television? They're just getting the 1080's out at prices most people can afford.
I'll keep my optic and nettop/htpc setup thanks.

This made me think of one facet though. Because of HDCP scrambling the signals, does this mean the Ethernet channel will be scrambled as well? :3

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Wow. They barely even have media content that can do Deep Color and all the glory 1.3 promised, yet they already announced a new version. I'll stick with 1.3 for now. Besides HDMI cables are expensive and doesn't always work perfect. Hell, some recievers can't even transmit audio through it, especially if you bought one that is less than $400.

G

How about transmitting power through HDMI cables too? That way, I just plug one device in, say the TV, and inter-connect the rest using HDMI.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Technically speaking, fiberoptics is probably the only medium that could support the HDMI bandwith (~10Gbps I think), but I think it is also way too fragile for home use and the too "high-tech" to be able to manufacture it at low cost.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Technically speaking, fiberoptics is probably the only medium that could support the HDMI bandwith (~10Gbps I think), but I think it is also way too fragile for home use and the too "high-tech" to be able to manufacture it at low cost.[/citation]

Way to fragile for home use???
Opposed to running miles of it underground to entire cities? Office buildings are wired with the stuff on a daily basis but your puny little home is too high-stress for this "fragile" technology? I guess someone needs to go inform Verizon that they need to stop FiOS. They will be sad to hear that it's to "high-tech" for us at home.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Way to fragile for home use???Opposed to running miles of it underground to entire cities? Office buildings are wired with the stuff on a daily basis but your puny little home is too high-stress for this "fragile" technology? I guess someone needs to go inform Verizon that they need to stop FiOS. They will be sad to hear that it's to "high-tech" for us at home.[/citation]I didn't meant the technology was fragile, the medium is. That is probably why these cables also run in somehow restricted areas so they are only accessed by qualified people; don't forget that we are not "techological average joes". Unless they now make fiberoptic cables stronger than they used to, I wouldn't want to use it if I cannot protect it accordingly. The damage a 4 years old kid can do to a CAT6 cable would probably cost much less to repair that to a fiber cable :p.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Most people are still catching up to 720p, let alone 1080p. Now they are going to release a cable for 2160p?

Honestly, what really gets to me is that HDMI 1.3 was just released back in 2006 and they are already rolling out version 1.4 which is completley different (it should be called version 2.0). Yet USB 2.0 has been around for almost a decade and we still don't see USB 3.0. A more powerfull USB standard would be a whole lot more usefull than a new HDMI cable when no TV will be produced to utilize it until 2015 probably.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Yet USB 2.0 has been around for almost a decade and we still don't see USB 3.0. A more powerfull USB standard would be a whole lot more usefull than a new HDMI cable when no TV will be produced to utilize it until 2015 probably.[/citation]Don't know when devices will start using it, but USB 3.0 standard has been out for some time (wikipedia).

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Don't know when devices will start using it, but USB 3.0 standard has been out for some time (wikipedia).[/citation]

Ya, I remember reading about the spec being finished last year. I got all excited and swore to never buy another motherboard until it sports USB 3.0. After several months reality set in and I realized how long it will take for products to actually be manufactured to use the new standard. I think its expected products wont come until sometime in 2010. So as far as im concerned, I still dont see USB 3.0

G

If I have to switch cables we might as well go to the royalty free (cheaper) displayport and forget HDMI.

Muster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
This seems like a precursor to mandatory internet connectivity for your HDMI/Blu-Ray devices. Once the market is saturated with 1.4 compatibility, they can release the "better" blu-ray standards which will require realtime connectivity and authorization with their servers in order to decrypt the content.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Muster[/nom]This seems like a precursor to mandatory internet connectivity for your HDMI/Blu-Ray devices. Once the market is saturated with 1.4 compatibility, they can release the "better" blu-ray standards which will require realtime connectivity and authorization with their servers in order to decrypt the content.[/citation]So when the server/internet is down you loose access to your content ... no thanks. When I buy something, it's because I want unlimited access whenever I want even years after I bought the thing. Consumer protection groups should really define "buying" so things with DRM might be more like "long term rental".

Status
Not open for further replies.