Hdmi 2.2 worries

Rockpoolie

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I've just invested in a Sony 4k TV and player both of which support hdmi 2.2. I really like the Phillips fidelio soundstand but it's only hdmi 1.4 would adding this via the hdmi ARC on the TV stop 4k playback from the TV. The dvd won't be looped through the Phillips device. Im reading that anything in the chain not 2.2 will stop 4 k video or is that only if the signal passes through a non 2.2 device the Phillips is 1.4. Thanks in anticipation.

Solution
I think you have confused HDCP 2.2 with HDMI.
There is a new version of HDMI (2.1) coming but there aren't any products yet since the standard was just set. You can read about it here.
https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-to-bring-robust-home-theater-experience/#more-20434
That aside there should be no problem with your using the ARC HDMI connection other than you will lose that input and if it's the only HDMI 2.0 you want that for the 4k BD player. You could use the optical audio output on the Sony to get audio input the Philips as an alternative. No downside to doing this.

Rockpoolie

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rockpoolie : "Hdmi 2.2 worries"

I'm struggling to get a definitive answer on this. I've just invested in a Sony 4k TV and player both of which support hdmi 2.2. I really like the Phillips fidelio soundstand but it's only hdmi 1.4 would adding this via the hdmi ARC on the TV stop 4k playback from the TV. The dvd won't be looped through the Phillips device. Im reading that anything in the chain not 2.2 will stop 4 k video or is that only if the signal passes through a non 2.2 device the Phillips is 1.4

I think you have confused HDCP 2.2 with HDMI.
There is a new version of HDMI (2.1) coming but there aren't any products yet since the standard was just set. You can read about it here.
https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-to-bring-robust-home-theater-experience/#more-20434
That aside there should be no problem with your using the ARC HDMI connection other than you will lose that input and if it's the only HDMI 2.0 you want that for the 4k BD player. You could use the optical audio output on the Sony to get audio input the Philips as an alternative. No downside to doing this.

Solution