michealjohn

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015
I have a question on ARC. Below is my setup.

Sony Bravia KDL32-EX650 TV
Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V373
Setup Box

1. TV has 4 HDMI IN and one of the HDMI IN is ARC
2. Yamaha AV receiver has 1 HDMI OUT (ARC) and 4 HDMI IN
3. Setup box has only 1 HDMI OUT

a. I have connected Sony TV's HDMI IN (ARC) into Yamaha AV's HDMI OUT (ARC)
b. I have connected Setup box's HDMI OUT into Yamaha AV's one of the HDMI IN.

When I powered on TV, AV Receiver and Setup box, I can get the video and audio through AV receiver. No issues.
For some reason, If I dont want to use the AV receiver, switching on only TV and Setup box is not working. Both video and audio.

I have checked in TV and AV receiver, HDMI Control is ON, ARC is ON.

Any idea, how to achieve it through ARC. Else, I need to use the Component from my TV to Setup box which I don't want to do it.
AM I doing any setup wrongly?

Solution
just knowing what terminology to search for can often be the hardest part in finding an answer.

i thought as much, which means you have two choices...

-leave the avr on when using cable
-bypass the avr with a cable when you do not want to use it

for the first, its possible to have (assuming your devices support it of course) equipment such as tv and receiver turn off when the hdmi signal gets cut off (auto power off/ hdmi power control which relates to hdmi-control you mentioned earlier) which makes it a bit more convenient if you are watching late night which is why you want to not use the avr. i use sleep mode myself and set them both to turn off after a set time. if you're worried about having rear speaker noise, its possible to...
arc has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to do. the only thing arc is for (audio return channel) is to send audio from tv to the receiver if for example you were using the tv tuner or apps.

your problem exists with hdmi passthrough on standby. some units seem to have this feature so it exists but it may not be on all units. generally if included it will only pass through the last played hdmi signal though the feature might also be tied to a certain hdmi port as well. you may also need to enable it in settings if your receiver does support it. i know mine does not (i use an older pioneer)

michealjohn

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015

Thanks for your reply, ssddx.
Yes, you are right it is nothing to do with ARC.
In my yamaha receiver the power button says [Turns on/off (standby) the unit]
When I powered off, the HDMI input in TV itself got disabled and only when the AV receiver is on the HDMI input is enabled. So as you say it is something to do with hdmi passthrough on standby. let me check. thanks

just knowing what terminology to search for can often be the hardest part in finding an answer.

i thought as much, which means you have two choices...

-leave the avr on when using cable
-bypass the avr with a cable when you do not want to use it

for the first, its possible to have (assuming your devices support it of course) equipment such as tv and receiver turn off when the hdmi signal gets cut off (auto power off/ hdmi power control which relates to hdmi-control you mentioned earlier) which makes it a bit more convenient if you are watching late night which is why you want to not use the avr. i use sleep mode myself and set them both to turn off after a set time. if you're worried about having rear speaker noise, its possible to just use stereo (front) speakers and swap it back to surround later easy enough on most models (stereo mode is normally a button)

as for bypassing, i would likely use a hdmi switch instead of trying to use a different connection type with 1 in (from cable box) and 2 out (one to tv one to receiver) then switch it to whichever output you need it to go to. that would be my first choice at least. yes, changing a switchbox is a little annoying but given that both devices will be on when you use the receiver, a splitter could cause issues possibly. a switch would eliminate any variables (some do have remotes, some have push buttons on them so are easy enough to use). you could use component like you said earlier though if you have the option i'd probably stay hdmi. also, you would need to likely manually set which output you want to use if you have both tv and avr on as you would be connected to both at once (cable box would not know which to output on) so thats another issue fixed by using a switch).

Solution