HDMI cable converting to USB cable

AdamN2017

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Hi,

I have a hdmi cable connected to my tv via hdmi port. The cable runs through walls and ceilings to a nearby room. My tv has a USB port but I did not include a USB cable in the cable run to the separate room. I would like to use this HDMI cable to work as a USB cable to connect a USB drive situated in this separate room to my tv. Will fitting a HDMI to USB converter on both ends of this hdmi cable allow the HDMI cable to work as a USB cable (I could then connect it to the USB port on TV and the other end to a USB hard drive for recording tv programmes).

Many thanks
Adam

Solution
Nope. Such adapters are essentially USB attached video adapters and are meant to connect additional monitor to usb equipped pc.
It is not meant for passing USB signal through hdmi cables.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, that is not going to work.

"(I could then connect it to the HDMI port on TV and the other end to a hard drive for recording tv programmes)"
The HDMI port on the TV does not accept data direct from a hard drive like that.

AdamN2017

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks but I made an error on my post, I actually meant I would look to connect the HDMI cable to USB port on tv (via the converter I would attach on this end; the other end of the cable having another converter to allow it to fit the USB drive in the other room).

USAFRet

Illustrious

So this?
USB port->USB/HDMI converter->long HDMI cable->HDMI/USB converter->USB port

Unknown, but I'd be surprised if it actually worked.
You're using the HDMI cable as just a wire...no HDMI stuff, correct?
The USB spec calls for a max distance of 15 feet. This, because there is actually a 2 way conversation that happens from devices at both ends. That has to happen within a certain amount of nanoseconds.

AdamN2017

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks for both excellent answers, quickly posted. I wanted to record to a large USB drive situated in the other room and to use the hdmi cable as a USB cable. I now realise from your answers that this will not work. I'll look to invest in a high capacity pen drive to attach to the tv I think instead. Thanks again.