HDMI sound cutoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2018
Hi, I've got a problem with my sound.
I am using a Panasonic Plasma TV for both my video and audio. Today, I've updated my nvidia drivers to the latest version, and now I've got this problem - the first second or so of any sound is cut off. That means most of the windows notifications, any video playback is cutoff at the start, etc. So for example, I can start a Youtube video, and the first second or so of the sound does not play. Then it plays alright. But if I stop it for a minute, and then come back to it, the first second of audio does not play again. The same goes for everything else. This is very annoying, as I cannot hear any notifications.

Oct 22, 2018

But I've got the latest ones, just downloaded and installed today.

Oct 22, 2018
To me, it seems like the sound just shuts off, if there is nothing else playing. You know, like a car engine that turns off at the traffic lights automatically. I've noticed that if I have music playing in the background, the problem goes away. But if there is nothing going on in terms of audio, then it takes a second for it to initialize upon any playback.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

Yes, it only happens if audio is new. I've had the issue before.

Oct 22, 2018

So how did you resolve it?
Don't answer 'updating drivers' cause I've got the latest.
I am very much annoyed by this issue.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

In that case, try just reinstalling them.

Oct 22, 2018

I've tried that. Used the default microsoft driver. The problem persists.

I think that something else got installed during that driver update. Now it causes my hdmi TV to 'handshake' with my PC each time any sound is played, if there is nothing playing already.
Before that, I used the default drivers that came with the system, and everything was fine.
Then, a game alerted me that I have outdated video drivers. So I went to nvidia.com, downloaded the latest drivers, and installed them.
Since then, I've done a clean install of the same drivers, switched to original audio driver, restarted my PC a couple of times, unplugged my HDMI cable - nothing helped.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the drivers are going back to their original state after the install? Maybe you'd be able to disable them automatically updating on restart.

Oct 22, 2018

No. Regardless of which driver I use now, the problem persists. It seems that something else is causing this, I've got no idea what.

Oct 22, 2018
Okay, I've just tried something - got my old headphones, plugged them in directly into my PC, the problem does not exist when using headphones!
However, as soon as I unplugged them and the sound switched back to my TV - the problem returned!

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

That's really interesting. I suppose it's just something to do with the drivers not working correctly with your TV. Maybe you could hook it up to some external speakers rather than relying on the TV's audio?

Oct 22, 2018

Nope, not an option. I gotta fix this. I'm not gonna buy some external speakers for this problem to go away, this somehow became a problem, and I will fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.