Solved! Hdmi splitter

Dec 14, 2018
Hi i want to get a samsung home cinema unit but most of them only have 1 x HDMI input and i need 2 - my question is can i use a splitter switch in the back of a home cinema unit or can these only be used for back of tv - finding it really hard to find anything quite cheap with 2 x hdmi inputs

Solution
You can't use a splitter. You could use an HDMI input selector if the HTS has both HDMI input and output ports.
I suspect that any HTS that only has one HDMI port uses that port not as an input but as an HDMI-ARC connection to the TV. Not the same as an input. If it is an input there would have to be an output too. They expect you to connect your sources to the TV and use ARC to get audio from the TV to the HTS.
You can't use a splitter. You could use an HDMI input selector if the HTS has both HDMI input and output ports.
I suspect that any HTS that only has one HDMI port uses that port not as an input but as an HDMI-ARC connection to the TV. Not the same as an input. If it is an input there would have to be an output too. They expect you to connect your sources to the TV and use ARC to get audio from the TV to the HTS.

Solution
Dec 14, 2018
I have found a home cinema unit with 1 x hdmi input and 1 x hdmi output could i use a splitter on the input hdmi so i have 2 x hdmi inputs then the output to my tv ?

I have found a home cinema unit with 1 x hdmi input and 1 x hdmi output could i use a splitter on the input hdmi so i have 2 x hdmi inputs then the output to my tv ?

That was already answered, you can't use a splitter. A splitter does not add another input, it splits an output into two signals that would show the same thing. You need an input selector like the other reply stated.