Solved! HDMI to DVD to RCA TV

Nov 3, 2018
[Moderator note: Moving post from Laptop Tech Support.]

I want to stream the computer to an RCA TV. The TV has ANT IN only. Please verify: Attach HDMI cable to HDMI output on hard drive to HDMI input on converter with RCA Audio Visual output. Attach RCA cable (Red, White, Yellow) on converter output to RCA input (Red, White, Yellow) on DVD player. Attach coaxial cable to output on DVD player to ANT IN on RCA TV. Resolution needs changed from PC to TV.

Solution
Inputs and outputs are not interchangeable.
The hard drive connects to the computer with USB and not to anything else.
The Digital tuner converter box won't have an HDMI input so you can't use that to connect other stuff to your TV.
As jsmithepa says you would need an active converter for HDMI or VGA to AV and another to convert AV to channel three or 4. And an RF input selector to choose the PC or converter box. Overall the quality of the picture will be horrible and it will overscan the desktop so you won't have access to the buttons at the edge of the screen.
If the TV is so old it doesn't even have AV inputs it must be comparably small so I would suggest you get a new or new used TV. I suspect you can find one with HDMI that is...
Whatever u want to hook up to TV, can't talk ANT, so need some kind of converter. If digital TV needs an HDMI-to-ATSC converter, if old analog TV, then HDMI-to-RF converter, don't know if they even sell this latest one since the technology is so far apart and even if it works, image will be crap.

Inputs and outputs are not interchangeable.
The hard drive connects to the computer with USB and not to anything else.
The Digital tuner converter box won't have an HDMI input so you can't use that to connect other stuff to your TV.
As jsmithepa says you would need an active converter for HDMI or VGA to AV and another to convert AV to channel three or 4. And an RF input selector to choose the PC or converter box. Overall the quality of the picture will be horrible and it will overscan the desktop so you won't have access to the buttons at the edge of the screen.
If the TV is so old it doesn't even have AV inputs it must be comparably small so I would suggest you get a new or new used TV. I suspect you can find one with HDMI that is bigger than your old one for not a lot of money.

Solution
Nov 3, 2018
I have an HDMI cable. I would connect one end to the HDMI input on the hard-drive and the other end to the HDMI input on the converter I purchased. The other side of the converter has three holes which are colored red, white, and yellow. I have the cable that fits into this. I would connect one end of this cable to the converter, and the other end to the DVD/VCR which has the same three holes in the same color. Then I would screw in one end of the ANT cable to the DVD/VCR and the other end to the TV. My understanding is there's a way to change resolution on the computer to resolution necessary for TV. I found settings on the computer to do this.

You're talking about two different things: "Hard drive with HDMI Output", and "Changing resolution from PC".

You'll blow nothing if you connect the things the way you described, switch the VCR to recording from analogue input (if there red/white/ywllow jacks are really inputs), and try what will happen.

For further help - please provide exact makes and models of every piece of equipment involved.