HDMI to vga adapter help!!!!

skynetwins

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
I bought a hdmi to vga adapter off of amazon and I just got it. I'm trying to hook up this laptop that hp laptop that only has hdmi to my monitor I plugged it in and for some reason I can't get it to work. I have a xmen wallpaper and I see text and pictures on the left side of the screen. Like it's kind of a boarder or something. There's a line on the left side as well. I can't output the screen like I want too. I never had any problems hooking up this laptop to my 42 inch hdtv.

Solution
Think i can help on this one
Best thing to do is, load up laptop as normal so desktop is on your laptops screen.

Then connect the hdmi cable via the adapter to your monitor

Then go to your desktop settings to where it shows the monitor displays.

then you can check the settings for the monitor on the laptop, as you may find that the native display needs to be altered which you obviously can't do while on the monitor because desktop is not on screen it to far left.

It can take a bit of tweaking but it best way of doing it, had to do that for my mates laptop to his tv.

Should get 3 options: Laptop display, mirror display, monitor display.

If you get constant problems you can't fix, you can do the mirror display and close laptop lid...

LeslieTSUK

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Think i can help on this one
Best thing to do is, load up laptop as normal so desktop is on your laptops screen.

Then connect the hdmi cable via the adapter to your monitor

Then go to your desktop settings to where it shows the monitor displays.

then you can check the settings for the monitor on the laptop, as you may find that the native display needs to be altered which you obviously can't do while on the monitor because desktop is not on screen it to far left.

It can take a bit of tweaking but it best way of doing it, had to do that for my mates laptop to his tv.

Should get 3 options: Laptop display, mirror display, monitor display.

If you get constant problems you can't fix, you can do the mirror display and close laptop lid most times then it will in theory default to monitor, if you go into the power settings and turn off the suspend when lid closed feature

Solution
So the adapter works, just not as desired is that correct?

Having a link to the adapter you bought would be helpful.
On some slightly high end adapters they have settings that allow you to change the settings on it.

Now have you made sure you laptop resolution is set to output a supported resolution for your monitor/tv. If you are trying to output an unsupported resolution then that can cause all sorts of display issues.

Now if the adapter does not work at all my first concern is that you got an adapter that converts VGA to HDMI (much more popular) then an adapter to convert an HDMI input to VGA