Not open for further replies.

ajygv

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
So I have an HP Omen 15 (2016) with specs:
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- GPU: GeForce GTX 960M

And I was able to connect my HDMI male to my laptop to a VGA female (adaptor) into a VGA male to a VGA male into my old external Dell monitor. However, shortly after unplugging it, I believe I burnt the graphics card because none of my games would open and the ones that did open would run at 5 fps. So I took it in Best Buy to get it shipped out to the manufacturer to replace the motherboard and GPU and they also replace the hard drive since that supposedly needed to be replaced. Now, when I use the same Insignia HDMI to VGA adaptor, it does not connect. I tried the supplement power into the USB port; however, that doesn't work either. I tried this same adaptor to a Lenovo Y-series laptop (worked perfectly fine) and an Apple MacBook that needed the supplement power cord. However, since my Omen is a gaming laptop, I would assume it doesn't need the supplement power cord.
I connected my laptop to a TV via HDMI to HDMI and that worked perfectly, so the port isn't faulty either.

I have 2 major conclusions to this situation:
1) Since I have proven that the adaptor is not faulty since it works for both the Lenovo and MacBook, then there must be a problem of my laptop recognizing the adaptor.
2) Clearly the monitor is old; however, it was able to display for the Lenovo and MacBook.

Now I have 2 ideas in question:
1) May I have to download a driver? And where to download it?
2) I have heard this problem has occurred a lot with this Insignia product, so this may contribute to the situation.

Any suggestions, help, comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Check from HP for the latest drivers for your laptop model, the video card drivers especially.
Your adapter will need the USB power to run it since HDMI to VGA is an active connection and needs power to run. See if the laptop HDMI port works without the adapter, directly to an HDMI monitor or TV.
Check from HP for the latest drivers for your laptop model, the video card drivers especially.
Your adapter will need the USB power to run it since HDMI to VGA is an active connection and needs power to run. See if the laptop HDMI port works without the adapter, directly to an HDMI monitor or TV.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.