HDTV or not? LG Tells me no, company tells me yes.. ARGH!

jonnny

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I purchased a LG 42" HDTV(aparently) from eBay, it works great and I love it, however... I have my reasons to think its not actually HDTV.

1) There is no sticker or 'logo' saying "HD-Ready" on the front, which I was told there should be?
2) I emailed LG and gave them the model number(42px3rv) & they said this TV is NOT HD-Ready & it would be physically impossible for it to be... and they told me some stuff about resolutions and pixels.. anyway I beleived them.

I then phoned the company I purchased it from on eBay, and they told me they have sold alot of these and ARE HD-Ready... because it has the "HD input" on the back.. and then my head went into a total maze.

I dont know whos telling the truth.. one of them must be lieing??? so I decided to do my own research.. I searched online with the model number and found some that IS HD-Ready Annndd.. some thats NOT!! aaaaahhh!

Im just wondering if anyone else has this TV or perhaps someone knows about it & can tell me weither it is or not infact... HD-Ready? :)

Could someone just clear up a few questions in my head..
1) is HDTV the same as HD-Ready?
2) what is HDMI... Is this anything to do with HD-Ready?

Thx

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This is an EDTV. It has a digital receiver, but it cannot display an HDTV picture in full-quality resolution.

HDTV vs. HD-Ready. HDTV means it has a tuner inside capable of receiving Over-the-air (OTA) high-definition digital TV signals. HD-Ready means that you can display high-definition content if you hook it up to an external tuner box (also called a set-top box or an STB).

This TV is not an HDTV because while it can show video based on high-defintion content that it receives (e.g. through the HDMI connector in the back), it cannot show that video at the level of quality or detail contained in the original content.

Unless you are sitting close to your TV, you may not notice the difference.

HDMI is a connector that allows for delivery of digitally encoded audio and video. Think of it as the audio/video analogy to the optical output on a CD player.

Something to note is that your TV has just about the perfect resolution for watching widescreen DVD movies. There won't be much (if any) resolution scaling, so you'll get a very good picture from those.