Head block for Sony TC-650 Tape deck

Audiolover69

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I'm an audio hobbyist/collector of vintage audio equipment and was wondering if anybody out there has or knows where to find a good used head block for a Sony TC-650 reel-to-reel tape deck, The block is an easily removable modular type with the model number H-17-4S (4 track). I restored one of these machines a couple of years back but couldn't do anything about the head block whose heads were badly out of whack in terms of both azimuth and tilt. (the head block also had worn alignment screws and I ended by dismantling it eventually).
I'm sure some if these must exist somewhere on this planet. It would be a shame to throw this machine out. Any help or someone who has one to sell would be very much appreciated
Thanks,
Mark

FauxReal202

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have a tc-650. I think it has a 4-track head. Would you be interested in it? I haven't used it many years but it was working. I also have the owner's instruction and service manuals.
Don

Audiolover69

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. Are you offering your head block or the entire deck? I know it's a HEAVY machine. The machine I have is in very good condition physically and mechanically since I refurbished it, except that I cannot play tapes due to my badly messed up head block.

Also where are you located? The problem is that I live in Canada and, and from my experience, it's usually a been a hassle to 'import' heavy audio equipment across the border from the US (although USPS would be the least troublesome). Shipping the head block alone, if at all possible, would be preferable since it's easily removable.

Just for curiosity, what general physical condition is your machine in, and is it possible to check the extent of the wear on the heads? (if not, no big deal) Anyway please let me know, maybe we could work something out...

Sincerely, Mark.

waynedec

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

Hi Mark,
Did you ever find head stacks for the TC-650. I have a 650 that has stopped working, and plan to part out. However, I have the two headstacks for it. The 1/4 track stack is in good condition, with some wear. Before the deck quit this stack sounded good with excellent high frequency response. I also have the 1/2-track stack which is brand new. The original owner said he used it once, but had no need for that configuration.

Just a note on why I am not spending time fixing this deck. It is a fine machine, but if you have a number of other machines that all work perfectly, then it doesn't make sense for me to expend time, effort, and funds on this one. I have two professional 2-track machines (Fostex E2, and Magnacord 1022), plus the Fostex E16 multrack deck. I also have the very large Tascam 58 with a perfect transport, but no electronics. That's a machine that I would like to get back working.

Let me know if you are interested in the stacks, or in the 650 for parts.
Regards,
Wayne
(wwoodhams@roadrunner.com)

thestonecrusher

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
This is my second attempt to contact you. IE failed. I am looking for a working TC-650 with both sets of heads, or a tape player that can play both four-track (quarter-track) and two-track (half-track) tapes. In my undying quest to obtain such a machine I would be willing to purchase the two-track head assembly with the future prospect of finding a working TC-650.

Also, I have a four-track head assembly - I think I even have the mounting screws. If you can suggest a method, I will evaluate them.

Can we do some sort of a deal?

Goodwill,
Luke
thestonecrusher@gmail.com

Audiolover69

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your your response to my original post, which I put up a quite while ago.

Yes, I actually did end up fixing my machine. Someone along the way recommended a place in the U.S. (JRF Magnetics) which services tape machines for the professional world and recording industry. So I eventually decided to send them my badly messed-up block and they both re-aligned and re-lapped the heads, so in the end they were essentially like new and the machine sounds spectacular. (I'm a collector of vintage audio, which I like to restore and happen to own two open-reel machines - the Sony TC-650 and an Akai GX-255)

However, come to think of it, I would not mind having a spare headstack or two such as the ones you're offering. (both 1/4 and 1/2 track, I may also be interested in other parts such as the face plate, if it's near-mint condition to replace the one one mine which has a couple of scratches and nicks on it, but that's a minor thing). Anyways, please let me know how much you would like for your blocks (or even hypothetically the whole machine) and perhaps we can work something out. BTW I live in Canada - I hope that's not a problem.

Sincerely,
Mark

paulc99

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Yesterday I re-discovered my Sony TC-650 which was in a shed for the past 20 years with a tape still on the spindles. Powered the unit and it is still able to move tape in both direction. There is apparent rust on some parts (screws, spindle). Anyone interested? The unit is in Laval, Québec.

dwilcoxco

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

I have a Sony TC-650 that has been in storage in my basement for nearly 20 years. I'd be interested in selling it to somebody. I have no idea what it is worth.