[Headphones] ATH-M50X vs DT990 Pro

Kieran_00

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Need help deciding between these two, but am open to any other alternatives. DT990's I'm leaning more too, however I will probably need to pick up a sound card and maybe an amp after some researching, as I'm currently only using the Onboard Audio from my Asus Z87 I Pro.

Price range is from £80-£130, so open to any other alternatives for gamng/music headphones. These will replace my Razer Kraken 7.1's.

Thanks!

Solution
Leakage won't be loud enough to bleed through walls, to get an idea play audio with your headphones at normal volume and keep them earpad side up on your desk. Only people a few feet around you can hear what you're listening to.

As for the E10K there should be a noticeable difference. Bass should tighten up and become more presesnt, highs will be less shrill, headphone will be more musical in general as every aspect will be improved. Volume will also not be an issue with an amp as you could push them to deafening levels. I'd recommend to get the 80 ohm version.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
The m50x will offer more portability and isolation compared to the open back DT 990 PRO. No amp would be needed and they also fold and have a removable cable.

Sound wise they are similar in that they both have a "v" shape sound; highs and lows are boosted while mids take a step back. However the 990 PRO is more detailed and have a larger soundstage (perception of depth in audio). This is typical of most open back headphones however note that they will leak sound and others around you can hear what you're listening to.

322751d1356652494-beyerdynamic-dt-990-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50-dt990.vs.ath-m50.vs.hd280.jpg

Comfort wise the 990 easily wins. They are lighter, have substantially more headband padding, and come with plush velour earpads which make them a good choice for long term listening.

Given that the DT 990 PRO are cheaper than the m50x on amazon uk I would probably go for those between the two. For an amp I would look into a Fiio E10k amp/dac combo. If you want virtual surround sound at the cost of sound quality you could look into something such as the Soundblaster Z. Can't say how different it will be from your Razer Surround software though.

Kieran_00

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply!

The leakage from the DT 990's might be an issue from the open nature of those, my walls aren't exactly the most robust. I did notice the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm's, which are closed and don't require a amp for desktop use, from what I can gather anyway. These are slighter cheaper than the 990's and seem to have more favourable reviews.

For the extra £60 I would play for the amp/dac combo, would there be a substantial difference in quality over the DT700's?

I wouldn't class myself as an audiophile, but do enjoy my music and after comparing different headsets around the house, starting to see why virtual surround is classed as a gimmick. Heck, even my £20 headphones out perform the £80 Razer Kraken when it comes to music.

Thanks!

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Leakage won't be loud enough to bleed through walls, to get an idea play audio with your headphones at normal volume and keep them earpad side up on your desk. Only people a few feet around you can hear what you're listening to.

As for the E10K there should be a noticeable difference. Bass should tighten up and become more presesnt, highs will be less shrill, headphone will be more musical in general as every aspect will be improved. Volume will also not be an issue with an amp as you could push them to deafening levels. I'd recommend to get the 80 ohm version.

Solution
dt770 and m50 are comparable but the dt770 is better.

the only thing the m50 has over the dt770 is a folding design. the dt770 has wider soundstage, better audio and better comfort.

dt770 is similar to the dt990 but is a bit more bassy with somewhat less soundstaging. of them, the 80 is the most bassy while the 250 is the most refined. you will want an amp or at least a strong soundcard if you want to benefit from the dt770's low end bass.

of the two, the 990 or 880 is a better choice for gaming if a little bit of leak isnt a problem. the 770 can certainly be used if you have people right next to you. the 880 is a little more flat than the others with not as much peak on the bass and treble.

in uk any of the beyer products are very competitively priced. sure you will spent a bit for a decent amp (i recommend a schiit magni or similar if possible but fiio products could work in a pinch) but its well worthwhile to do so.

virtual surround is a gimmick but it has a place and some people like it. at least its far less gimmicky and more useful then "actual" 5.1/7.1 headsets which sound good on paper but sound bad in practice.

I hate these comparisons, it's so personal that it's almost like what food you like the most over another food, compared to someone else.

What makes it even less of a comparison is the fact that one is open and the other is closed.

My two headphones are

Skullcandy Crushers (perfect for movies)
HD 558 (mixing, music, gaming)

I tried the M50's (non X) and from what I've read the X should have the same sound signature. I didn't like them, I prefer the Sennheiser over them, even if truth be told they're worst sounding, they're still better sounding to me.

"I will probably need to pick up a sound card and maybe an amp after some researching, as I'm currently only using the Onboard Audio from my Asus Z87 I Pro. "

You don't need a sound card, that would be throwing money away.

With the DT 990 Pro you want an amp though, DAC if the card is not very good.

All the best!

while completely true that audio is highly dependent on personal opinion, its hard to even get a grasp on what you might like (without extensive testing in person of course) without reading various opinions on sound signature and other qualities. at minimum direct comparisons can certainly be made to sort of establish how they may sound compared to eachother (not touching on if you will like how they sound or not).

i have an m50 and its decent for a low price but i know what it is and what it is not. its a bassy portable can with extremely small soundstage. the hd558 is much more open so its a better general use can if you arent after bass.

onboard audio is at best equal to low end card solutions so a soundcard or dac is not necessarily a bad idea. now, is it required? as long as he is not having problems with it then no it is not. even for the dt770 i would recommend an amplifier, not just the dt990. low end bass sucks up more power to reproduce well. the m50 doesnt require much at all in the way of power but its also not as good as the other options as well.

soundcard vs dac+amp? depends on his choice of headphone and his choice of virtual surround or not. if he wants virtual, a soundcard is almost required to have any decent solution. if he doesnt care then at minimum an amplifier or at most an amp+dac unit would be good.