Headphones change sound everytime i knock cups ( vacuum )

dudupro

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

I have steelseries v3 headphones, and ive had this problem for a while already. these are my secondary headphones and this doesnt have warrany. So theres a little plastic membrame that makes vacuum link so every time i push cups against my head, i can hear different sound, mono, stereo, unbalanced, no bass, too much bass, etc, and this plastic thing crackles all the time. im sure its no connection problem, but this plstic thing. its really annoying to slam my headphones or try to find the normal sound effects all the time, even if i find the normal sound, it will be gone after i take em off.

Is there any possible way to fix this?

Will be looking towards answers
and thank you who takes time to read this trough
dudu

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Sounds like a connection problem. Not with the connectors though. Likely you have a loose or damaged wire inside the headset themselves. This could be anything from broken strands in the wire (invisible) to cracked solder joints which could be hard to detect. Or it could be really obvious like a broken wire. If you can open them up and see what going on inside that might provide you some answers.

dudupro

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Been there done that,every solder is clear and good. as i told no matter how gently i push the cups they will change the sound, because if they are on my head theres airlock and then the plastic crackles inside, because of vacuum. i took the cups off and slamed the headphones til my head hurt but the sound was still as good as it was.

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
That plastic membrane is the speaker itself. When you push the headphone against your head, it creates pressure, which pushes the speaker all the way to the back to its mechanical limits. The air escaping will eventually restore normal operation. But, you are damaging the speaker every time you do that. The headphone was designed to rest upon your head with no change in air pressure. The foam cushion is meant to dampen the sound so others don't hear it - not to create a pressure differential. If that plastic membrane is crackling, then you've already stretched the plastic beyond its limits and ruined it.
To recap: That plastic thing is your speaker. There's not supposed to be any significant pressure change when you wear your headphones. And you're wrecking your headphones.

dudupro

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for your reply.
I started doing that after i started hearing that crackling sound. this plastic thing seemt so useless there. Is there any way to fix that?