Headphones for Gaming

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I plan on purchasing a new pair of headphones here soon, primarily being used for gaming/movies. Unfortunately, most of the headsets I have been looking at have an open back system. How much leakage is there in such a setup? I have been primarily looking at the AKG k7xx as I've heard great reviews about this headset. I would pair it with a fiio E10K.

Upon learning that open back headsets bleed a lot of sound (duh... it's open back eh?)... I started looking into other options. Such as the AKG 545 (detachable cord is a big plus, but how's the sound in comparison to the AKG 535 Pro?). I have also looked at the ATH m50x, as it's supposed to have amazing build quality... but I've seen reviews stating the soundstage isn't up to snuff for the price.

I really would appreciate some help on this one, looking for anything at or under $200.

Basically, I want to know how bad leakage is on open back systems... and what would be a good closed cup headset that I could use? If the leakage is poor.

Solution
open cans really offer almost zero isolation. this means you can hear and be heard. as far as if that is a problem with other people or with your microphone it really depends on how loud you raise the volume. at moderate levels you should be okay.

open cans generally have wider soundstages while closed generally has smaller soundstages. this is caused from being closed and not leaking.

i have heard the k7xx is an excellent deal if you can catch the shipments. it is based on the k702 iirc but with a few nice changes.

the hd6xx is a good deal as well (based on the hd650) but again, is open.

the m50 has good sound quality if you like v-shaped signatures. nice bright treble without getting too sibilant or distorted and nice low end bass...
open cans really offer almost zero isolation. this means you can hear and be heard. as far as if that is a problem with other people or with your microphone it really depends on how loud you raise the volume. at moderate levels you should be okay.

open cans generally have wider soundstages while closed generally has smaller soundstages. this is caused from being closed and not leaking.

i have heard the k7xx is an excellent deal if you can catch the shipments. it is based on the k702 iirc but with a few nice changes.

the hd6xx is a good deal as well (based on the hd650) but again, is open.

the m50 has good sound quality if you like v-shaped signatures. nice bright treble without getting too sibilant or distorted and nice low end bass that is only just a tad bloated. build quality is good considering plastic construction. i have a pair that looks new except the pads and they are over 5 years old. yes, they do have a very small soundstage, even for closed cans. everything sounds like it is right by your ears. not bad for music but not ideal for gaming, although most games have enough cues that it really does not matter.

the dt770 is everything the m50 has but better and with larger soundstage. it is still not large but is on the better end of the spectrum for closed cans. again, v-shaped signature.

be aware, headphones like the ad500x have a closed version (a500x). similar sound but less soundstage and a bit more bass. the hd598 also has a closed version (598cs).

Solution

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Very well informed answer, thank you!

I debated looking into the dt770, I'm glad you brought it up! I think I will end up getting the K7xx for now, and save up for the dt770 if I decide the leakage is too great for public use.

Is the fiio e10k a good dac/amp for the k7xx? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks again!

depends on what you're looking for in a headphone really.

the akg k7xx (and many other akg models) tend towards neutral. while they often do have bass its punchy without quite as much depth as you will find on a bassy can. akg cans are known to be a bit picky on source files/equipment.

the e10k should be fine but i would not go cheaper. one of the better deals for an amp only (the fiio e10k is an amp and dac) would be the schiit magni (its matching dac if you did not use the pc for that would be the modi). the o2 amp (and oac) is a good choice as well. the audioengine d1 is decent. technically the fiio a3 (amp only) is cheaper and for the money is decent and might work.

the beyer dt990 pro 250 special edition is on sale right now for 140. if you want something with a bit more bass response and more v-shaped signature that is still open, its worth looking at. its sort of comparable to an open dt770, though more soundstage, not quite as v-shaped as the dt770 and has less bass.

for some reason headphone prices seem to fluctuate. not too long ago the dt770 was fairly cheap, now it seems to be high. the 990 was higher and now a special edition is cheap. other brands fluctuate heavily as well (why the hd518 is badly priced now is beyond me).