Solved! Headphones for TV, will these work?

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014
I know now thanks to Toms Guide, what I need to hook headphone to my Sanyo TV. But now I am wondering about a pair I found rated very highly here ( http:// ), if these will work with my TV. The video on these is showing the headphones with a laptop, so not being smart about these things, I want to make sure before purchasing.

I do have the coaxial cable, and the converter box. Just hoping I can plug these into the converter, or do they only adapt to a USB? Thank you for any help on this, Denise

See pics here;)
http://

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002GX0ZE/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1509521275&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=coax+digital+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZVnZltEYL&ref=plSrch

Solution
Most DACs will only work if you can set the TV to output in PCM. Part Express sells one that will accept 5.1
Since the output of the DAC is fixed level you won't have a way to adjust the volume unless there is a volume control on the headphones.
I also suspect that the 3.5mm output is the same line level as the RCA outputs and that won't drive headphones well if at all.
I think you will need either a DAC/headphone amp or wireless headphones. Some wireless headphone transmitters will have digital inputs and all will have their own volume control.

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Hi Azaran, I thought I lost this post, and it didn't actually post. Glad to see it did:)
here is my TV. I did read that the converter has a 3.5 output for audio/headphones and the headphones are 1/4 size plug. I do have some adapters and plan to try them if needed. I think I will as the size is different by .5 if I am understanding this correctly??

My links don't look right in the post, don't know what happened, but were you able to see the converter, as well as the headphones? This is the most complicated thing I've ever dealt with and I am hoping the headphones that come highly reviewed even those cheap set, will last until I can get a new TV "definitely" with a headphone Jack. Or I may step up to a Roku 3 which has a jack for headphone in it's remote;)

Thanks much for taking a look for me:) Denise

Sanyo TV Dp32242

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
You should be good Denise. You have the correct digital Coax cable. The convertor box should give you the correct input/outputs. And the headphones you've picked out all have 1/8 (3.5mm) jacks so they'll work with the convertor.

The only thing I'd mention is that you will be limited in how far away from the TV you can sit by the length of the cords you're using. So if you intend to sit far away from the TV, you'll need to run the appropriate length cables.

Most DACs will only work if you can set the TV to output in PCM. Part Express sells one that will accept 5.1
Since the output of the DAC is fixed level you won't have a way to adjust the volume unless there is a volume control on the headphones.
I also suspect that the 3.5mm output is the same line level as the RCA outputs and that won't drive headphones well if at all.
I think you will need either a DAC/headphone amp or wireless headphones. Some wireless headphone transmitters will have digital inputs and all will have their own volume control.

Solution

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Hello Azaran, I got my package today and have taken pictures of how I connected everything, following directions I believe. But I am getting no sound through the headphones. The TV has the sound on, so I thought maybe I had to turn that off, but then I had zero sound.

Do you think you could take a look at how I've connected things and see if I have it right? One thing I didn't realize is the converter needs to be plugged into wall, no problem, I did that of course. I don't know if that Toslink input is for anything in "my" case.

I also notice on the converter, for coaxial connections, only red. On TV Digital Audio Out, it's Peach colored. I don't know if that's the problem or not either.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get the photos attached her for you, thanks in advance for any help you can give me;) Denise

Ok, none of my links are showing so here is "hopefully" my flickr page which is public anyway:
First 4 photos are of the way I have things connected:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64127624@N04/with/38141528732/

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

I think I had the wrong links:( Sorry.

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014

I didn't see this post before, and didn't get a notification of it. I am not doing well so far, learning my way around this forum.

I don't have that "PCM" as I looked in my menu/audio options on TV set. I am wondering if this is why my headphones I purchased are not working. I'll wait to hear back from you guys. Btw, the headphones work great on my laptop and I can always use them there if nothing else. The price was good, and no, these don't have their own volume control, but they are nice for "outside" noise reduction.

If you're right, I'll just need to buy a different headset, I hope. I'll re-read your post because I do miss things pretty often when I read. Thanks so much for your reply, Denise

Ok, I re-read it again. I think you are right, and if I am understanding, a wireless headphone will work with Digital Audio Only, or do I still need a converter. Would you tell me exactly what parts I need to have to make this work in your opinion American? (can't see your username from "edit" area) Denise

nwgamelover

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Also, I wanted to add that the instruction for converter does say in broken-English for FAQs "Must to set the audio output mode to "PCM" and close/disable Dolby surround.

I saw where to make sure "surround" was off, but as I mentioned above, there is no option for PCM:( Arggggg, lol!! Oh well;) Still have a nice pair of headphones for my computer;)

I was wrong on the coaxial, it is Peach colored. Stronger glasses next time;)