ProfWombat

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015
Hi, this might seem like a stupid question, but I want to make sure.
I currently have a Blue Snowball Microphone. I am perfectly happy with it although I do get a lot of keyboard noise when typing on skype, etc. I also currently use a cheap pair of Sony headphones and am looking to upgrade. I would use this new pair mostly for gaming.
My question is, would it be better to stick with my current mic and buy a new pair of headphones or go for a gaming headset and scrap the mic? If the first option is better, can anyone recommend a pair of good headphones around £100-£200 (they must have 7.1 surround sound and good quality, noise cancelling would be ideal)?
Any answer or opinion would be welcome!

sgtmasterD

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
i woud sugest to go for the headset you mic is good if also if you shose to go for ONLY the sound you will be able to get better sound quiltie beceus you dont have to spend any money for a good micropooh

i hope i have awnser your quistion

ProfWombat

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015

thanks for the opinion. I thought that might be the case but just wanted to see what other people had to say. Can you recommend a specific pair?

first: the 7.1 surround sound you are going to be getting is likely virtual (processed by the headset soundcard). you can achieve the same effect on hifi headphones by having onboard or a soundcard which supports this. a good example of this would be the xonar dg which is 27 and has dolby headphone.

second: you may not want active noise cancelling as this will distort your sound. instead it may be better to have a closed set of headphones which naturally isolates you a bit from the outside world (at the expense of soundstage)

since you want noise cancelling i'm guessing you'd be willing to give up some soundstage in order to have isolation... so i'm thinking you might like the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80. its going to be a v-shaped sound profile (focus on treble/bass with recessed mids) which is generally considered to be the "fun" type of sounding cans. you can power them with a xonar dg as well.

sound quality on hifi headphones is going to be MUCH better than any gaming headset.

the mic you have is not high end, but its a good product for the money and will continue to work for you. if you are happy with it then keep it and use it. you would be better off with headphones anyways.

dwnelson

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I don't think you mean active noise cancelling but rather passive like these?
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (closed) $140
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (closed) $170

I have a Blue Snowball as well. I'm looking to swap out for a Blue Snowflake (mount on monitor) or AntLion ModMic (mount on headphones)