Headphones plugged into 'audio out' on TV, sound still plays out of TV speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendigoKing

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I plugged my headphones into my TV (which only has the built-in speakers), in the 'audio out' port. Sound is coming through my headphones fine (although I can't seem to control volume), but sound is still coming through the TV speakers as well- whenever I turn up the volume, it affects the TV output, not the headphones (sound still comes through the headphones when the TV volume is really low or muted). How do I fix this?

Solution
Some TVs have a hybrid headphone/audio out.
If yours does then there will be a menu setting that will let you turn the TV speakers off and change the output to variable. If not then you will need a headphone amp (with volume control).

c4s2k3

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
Whether or not you can do what you intend, and how you go about doing it is entirely dependent on your TV. Check the TV settings menus and look an option to have sound only go to phones jack.

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Your headphones should be plugged into a jack that specifically says headphones. Usually, the sound from the speakers would then automatically cut out. The jack your in right now is an auxilliary output meant to feed a stereo input to play the sound through an external system. Volume would then be controlled using your stereo's remote, thus the "audio out" port is always on and doesn't change with volume settings from the tv. Your tv should have an option under "audio settings" that allows you to disable output to your tv speakers, but again the headphones really should be plugged into a jack that is labelled for headphones so the volume will change with your tv's volume control.

Katmell

Prominent
May 23, 2017

Hi mine does cut out from the TV speakers as you have said should do but all I get through my digital wireless headphones is a noise like interference or crackling type of sounds and not voices etc that are playing at the time on the TV. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015

Did you fix this? Sorry, haven't checked toms in awhile. Question: Have you tried your wireless headphones on other devices? See if they work somewhere else to exclude the possibility that the problem is with the headphones instead of the tv. If it's a standard 1/8" TRS connector your plugging into the tv then you could instead try plugging the headphones into your smartphone and play some music to test them. Start there and we'll work through it if you havent' found a solution already.

EDIT: also try the other way around and put regular wired headphones in the tv jack to make sure that it's working.

Katmell

Prominent
May 23, 2017

Hi I plugged wired ones into the 3.5m headphone on the tv and they worked just fine and does as you would expect I have tried 2 different wireless ones now and both won't work through the headphone jack. I have plugged the wireless one using the red and white RCA plugs, into the audio output on the free view satellite box which does work that way but by doing this we have to mute the sound on the tv and also sometimes get a little crackling/inference sounds but only very lightly. Thank you.

Feb 17, 2018

Feb 17, 2018
had the same problem and bought an SPDIP optical sound decoder for $20.00 ch 5.1 audio digital decoder AC-3/DTS converts signal to RCA and 3.5 and has a volume dial . Have sound now while watching Netflix with head phones . Had only cable out and DVD palyer out with a SPDIF splitter but no audio sound for Netflix and then found the digital audio decoder from Optical to RCA and 3.5 and coverts dolby sound back to RCA or 3.5 plug in . who raaaaaa

Feb 17, 2018

Feb 17, 2018
buy a digital audio decoder for 5.1 ch dolby AC/3/DTS converts Optical signal back to RCA and 3.5 jack and can use headphones while watching netflix Had the same problem . started with a optical splitter and had cable sound out and TV sound out and Blue ray player out but no Sound from Netflix while using Sony head phones and what it was i needed a digital audio decoder for ch 5.1 to RCA and 3.5 and has a volume dial on the decoder need a 192KHz DAC converter decoder for digital sound for Dolby etc

Apr 3, 2018
I'm in this boat - Panasonic headphone volume is in a sub menu. Looks like this box (as confirmed by Lindy) is the only box on the market that sends through volume over ARC to RCA thus you can turn volume up and down with the remote. Not cheap at £90 tho

Status
Not open for further replies.