Headphones Purchase Opinions (Around Sennheiser Momentum price)

TrickyJumbo3000

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Hey guys,
I've been looking for a new pair of headphones to go along with a new PC I'm building. My current one is a Logitech g230, not exactly great on audio but good for the price. I was originally planning to go for a more gaming-oriented headset (Kingston HyperX Cloud) rather than headphones but decided to get a more premium sound quality and up the headphone budget.

My question to you guys is what pair of headphones would you reccommend and why? My budget is anywhere between $150-$250 USD and I do not require a mic or wireless functionality, just great sound for listening to music and playing CS:GO and Battlefield etc.

I'm looking for a over ear closed design with fairly decent passive noise cancellation, and something suitable for potential use in public (however this is not important or a necessity).

My current choice is the Sennheiser Momentum at around $175 on Amazon.

It WILL be paired with a soundcard, most likely the Creative Sound Blaster Omni for it's USB rather than PCI capabilities but I am thinking of a Sound Blaster Z series variant or a ASUS Xonar as well.

Solution
ATH-M50s is good and quite cheap for the quality you get.
I have this one.
The issue here, I dunno if you like the sound signature.
ATH-M50s (V) is however a bit bassier compared to Momentum.
Momentum is more flat (--).
I like the bassy headhones a bit better than the flat ones.
Momentum looks better in my opinion a street-wear.

DT770 and DT880 are also excellent, especially the 250-Ohm version is really good.
But the 250 Ohm is not for street-wear. You need powerful amp to raise 250 Ohm headphones properly.
Up to 32Ohm is ok for street-wear.

BTW: the Momentum is cheap...wow...the open version is even under USD100.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
So, you want to have headphone more to the audiophile direction?
Take a look at these:
Audio Technica ATH-M50s <-- best price/performance...be careful the ATH-M50x does not worth the price.
Beyerdynamic DT-770, DT-880 (available in several impedance classes)

The momentum comes in 2 variants, the open one and the closed one. Looking from the price, I think that one is the open one. The closed on costs here, where I live, above €250.
The open one, I dunno but the closed one is quite good.

TrickyJumbo3000

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

The Amazon link I looked at claimed to be the closed back design (sold by Amazon themselves, so it's info that I'd trust) for just under $180 USD. So that sounds like it's a pretty good deal, would you recommend them at that price?
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphone-Brown/dp/B009QV15DU

TrickyJumbo3000

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
I had a look at the ATH-M50s and I've got to say I'm impressed. This may sound like a bit of an interrogation but which would you recommend between the ATH-M50s and the Sennheiser Momentum, considering that there is only a $20-$25 difference between them?

guanyu210379

Distinguished
ATH-M50s is good and quite cheap for the quality you get.
I have this one.
The issue here, I dunno if you like the sound signature.
ATH-M50s (V) is however a bit bassier compared to Momentum.
Momentum is more flat (--).
I like the bassy headhones a bit better than the flat ones.
Momentum looks better in my opinion a street-wear.

DT770 and DT880 are also excellent, especially the 250-Ohm version is really good.
But the 250 Ohm is not for street-wear. You need powerful amp to raise 250 Ohm headphones properly.
Up to 32Ohm is ok for street-wear.

BTW: the Momentum is cheap...wow...the open version is even under USD100.

Solution

TrickyJumbo3000

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

I quite like the slightly bassier sound signature partly as that's basically all I have used, I think it'll be good for FPS games and also for the alt rock that's basically all I listen to.

Like I said, not so necessary to look god as streetwear as it's not really that important to me (I have buds/other headphones anyway) but yeah, the Momentums DO look better.

I think I'll go for the ATH-M50s, as they're only like $140 on Amazon, and with the comment on the open back Momentums for under $100,I would prefer a closed back design.

Thanks for the help and responses you've given today, you've been really helpful.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
For $140 I wouldn't get the m50s. They were originally $99 new and over the years rose in price due to hype and popularity. It's a good headphone, but it's not the "end all" so to speak.

Is your budget still $150 to $250 or would you prefer something cheaper?

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Wait? Wats? ATH-M50s is now $140?
I paid for that sh*t only 90 bucks on Cyber Monday (similar to Black Friday in US) about 2 years ago.

How about these then?
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-32-Headphone-Monitoring-Applications/dp/B008POFOHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429373918&sr=1-2&keywords=dt770
or if you have a good end-amplifier get the 250Ohm version.
or
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Discontinued/dp/B008XEYT48/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429374098&sr=1-1&keywords=custom+one+pro
or
simply the Momentum

Those are very good but it cost double of ATH-M50s' old price.
The best thing of ATH-M50s is the price, if it is now a lot more expensive, try to look at different things.