Headphones won't work when plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhomer01

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
My computer will only play through my speakers, even when my headphones are plugged in. When looking at playback devices, headphones do not show up. When i insert them into the jack, the computer recognizes that something was plugged in, but that's all. my computer is an HP laptop elite book. Thanks for all of your help!

Try this...

When the headphones are connected, go into "Control Panel" and then "Sound". Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab and then right-click any of the empty white space in the middle of that window. Make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" are checked.

If it still doesn't show your headphones, and is still only playing through the speakers, try right clicking on the speakers (in the same "Playback" tab) and disable them. Make sure the headphones are connected when you do this. Then when you disconnect the headphones the speakers should enable again.

Try this...

When the headphones are connected, go into "Control Panel" and then "Sound". Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab and then right-click any of the empty white space in the middle of that window. Make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" are checked.

If it still doesn't show your headphones, and is still only playing through the speakers, try right clicking on the speakers (in the same "Playback" tab) and disable them. Make sure the headphones are connected when you do this. Then when you disconnect the headphones the speakers should enable again.

May 20, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 5
D Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 1