Headset mic not working in Combined audio/mic slot Asus Gaming Laptop.

Hackysaur

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I bought my girlfriend this headset.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX3TLF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

The audio is working fine, just the mic isn't working. She has an Asus gaming laptop that has a combined mic/audio slot. The headset itself comes with an adapter so you can plug it into a combined audio/mic slot and only the audio is working. We've tried switching the plugs around just incase and we've tried plugging just the mic jack in to see if that would at least do anything. It's not detecting the mic in the recording devices when we open the sound menu either. We've also used the mute mic switch to see if that was the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She has just been using the laptop mic this whole time.

Solution
Hi there!

I have the same headset on a laptop which only has a combined audio/mic slot, and it's working fine.

However, when I plug in my headset I get a notification from the computer asking me what it is I've plugged in where I have to specify that it's a headset. Do you get anything similar?

If not, you could try to go to the Control Panel after the headset is plugged in to see if you can find "Realtek HD Audio Manager" or something similar (I'm using a norwegian layout on my windows, so it could be that my translation is a little different than Windows :) ), then right click on the minijack-symbol and choose the top option. Directly translated from norwegian to english, it should say "New assignment of contact" or similar. Then...

Breinne

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hi there!

I have the same headset on a laptop which only has a combined audio/mic slot, and it's working fine.

However, when I plug in my headset I get a notification from the computer asking me what it is I've plugged in where I have to specify that it's a headset. Do you get anything similar?

If not, you could try to go to the Control Panel after the headset is plugged in to see if you can find "Realtek HD Audio Manager" or something similar (I'm using a norwegian layout on my windows, so it could be that my translation is a little different than Windows :) ), then right click on the minijack-symbol and choose the top option. Directly translated from norwegian to english, it should say "New assignment of contact" or similar. Then choose headset.

Hope this works for you!

Solution

Hackysaur

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

Hi thank you very much for the response! I didn't even think about realtek hd audio manager because she doesn't have it downloaded on her laptop for some reason. I'll download that tonight for her and see if that fixes the issue.