Headset Mic not working with laptop

superfilda78

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
I have Acer Aspire F15 with one 3.5mm combo jack and i recently started using A4Tech Bloody G500 headset- but for some reason mic doesn't work. It doesn't show up as a option in Recording devices, Audacity doesn't detect it and same for games. Any ideas what could be wron

Well, first I would make sure that the 3.5mm port is actually a dual, input/output, one. Just having a single jack does not mean it is.

Then, sadly, in newer devices with a single port, it is really common for them to not work with headsets with microphones. Why? There are a few reasons I have found, so there is no way for me to tell specifically in your case, but there is a way to work around it.

How? Well it would require a USB to 3.5mm adapter. Kind of like this one... https://www.amazon.com/LZYCO-External-connector-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B018YV3ALM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486193340&sr=8-9&keywords=3.5mm+to+usb+adapter

This works because USB ports don't have the same restrictions and issues as the 3.5mm ones.

superfilda78

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-f-15-f5-573g-56cg-15-6-core-i5-6200u-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd-us-international/specs/

I already verified that + input has a headset icon next to it

Yeah, alas it still could be the kind that although are supposed to work with both, don't always.

Something else you could try, when it is connected. Go into "Control Panel", then "Sounds". Click on the "Recording" tab. Now right click on the background of that window (not on any items) and make sure it is set to show you and disabled or disconnected items. If the mic is somehow disabled this will then allow you access to it so you can turn this option on.

How if that doesn't do it, on that same screen, highlight the microphone that is listed (probably the computers mic). Once it is highlighted, right click on it and click "Disable". Then try and see if the headset one will work.