Headset that is silent to others around you

remiaan

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I work 3rd shift and I often listen to music while on the pc late at night. My pc is in my bedroom and my wife is sleeping about 10 feet away from where the computer is located. I usually like my music turned up a bit, any suggestions on a headset that I can listen to loudly without the sound "escaping" the headset and disturbing those around? The current headset I am using is:

Plantronics A355
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E45XSU/ref=asc_df_B001E45XSU2372239?smid=A37NB9LWSJIWYW&tag=nextagusmp0360309-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001E45XSU

Thanks for any feedback!

audioranger

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
hi remiaan. depending on the headset, most supra-aural and circumauaral headsets will always "leak" a little bit of sound. models that entirely encase the ear will do a better job of this, but to be honest, if you're really looking for near-total noise isolation, high quality in-ear headphones (earbuds) are the way to go.

and i'm not talking iphone earbuds that sit outside your canal, i'm talking about ones that you actually insert into your ear. these are often used by musicians on professional soundstages, since they need to be able to hear themselves at a much lower volume than what's being projecting by the dozens of speakers behind them.

they sit much closer to your eardrum than over-the-ear models, and as a result can produce the same level of sound at a lower volume.

Shure, Klipsch, and Westone are among some of the best in-ear headphone manufacturers

cnet review with some decent models

happy listening man