Solved! Looking for a new headset

Feb 15, 2018
I am looking for a new headset and I am going to use it exclusively on my stationary PC, both for music and games(such as Path of Exile and RUST).
The headset I am currently using is a Plantronics Gamecom 788 which I love - sound wise, but unfortunately they are hanging by a thin thread(duct taped one side to hold them together).
I am a huge fan of surround sound and I want another headset which provides this. I just bought HyperX Cloud 2 but I can't seem to like the 7.1 sound it provides(the stereo sound is fantastic) - the 7.1 sound doesn't get projected around in the earpieces like I want, background sounds and some frequencies get amplified in a weird way and as a whole it sounds wrong to me. I am returning them and want to know what other headsets you can recommend.

I'm looking for a headset which:
- Has great surround sound since I am going to have this enabled all the time. Great sound quality is primarily what I'm after.
- Has foam (over ear) ear cups because I like being able to hear what goes on around me.
- Is in the price range of the HyperX Cloud 2, although I don't mind paying extra for a solid pair.
- Are somewhat comfortable to wear(not too picky).
- Have a microphone that works alright(only using it for Skype, Discord etc.).

Solution
hmm I am pretty sure that the Play! 3 uses Sound Blaster's SBX to provide surround, the best IMO for headphone virtual surround - for some reason not mentioned on amazon however they do mention it on the SB Play!3 product page at the bottom.

Read more about SBX here I think it is a bit better than the generic surround by typical gaming headsets.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Are you using your motherboards on board sound card? If so what motherboard?

If you take music at all seriously I would not recommend a surround headset, they all sound anemic to me. A good open back stereo headset will be nearly as good in games for identifying the direction and distance of sounds. I don't have any recommendations for surround headsets, so if surround is set in stone for you don't listen to my recommendations.

The hyper x clouds are pretty good, they are basically takstar pro 80s with a mic and a bass boost. My personal favorite "gaming" headset are the sennhiser game zeros, which are basically sennheaser HD558s with a mic and a bass boost. They should be excellent for both gaming and music, also are extremely comfortable.

I personally use fostex T20rp's studio headphones with a mod mic for gaming and music. They are some of the best headphones I have ever heard that don't cost a fortune.

Feb 15, 2018
I don't know if I am using my motherboards on board sound card or not. How do I know if I am using it? My Plantronics Gamecom 788 is using a driver which enables the 7.1 surround sound I currently have.
My motherboard is Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3
I'm pretty sure I am only looking for a surround sound headset, since I love how the sound gets projected all around me, and isn't just coming from left or right.
And as a response to music, well I guess I don't take music all that seriously then ;)

Feb 15, 2018

I don't know if I am using my motherboards on board sound card or not. How do I know if I am using it? My Plantronics Gamecom 788 is using a driver which enables the 7.1 surround sound I currently have.
My motherboard is Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3
I'm pretty sure I am only looking for a surround sound headset, since I love how the sound gets projected all around me, and isn't just coming from left or right.
And as a response to music, well I guess I don't take music all that seriously then ;)

Feb 15, 2018

It never occured to me that I could "build my own headset", but looks cool. Don't know if I'm up to it though, when I'm not that familiar with it, and apparently very picky. Might be too risky for me to try and build my own headset if it ends up not being good enough for my taste. And it doesn't look like the headset has 7.1 surround sound, but you'd recommend it anyway? It's primarily for gaming