Headset Wire Coiling/Twisting

Flared

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
Hello guys!

So, long story short... A few months ago I bought a pair of Astro A40s and they were all fine until around two months ago. This is because they started twisting, as it's a 2 meter cable and I sit around 50cm away from my MixAmp pro. After this cooking I decided to unplug the wire from headset and MixAmp and straighten it out without too much pressure. It seems to stop coiling for a day or so before having to repeat the process. After a few weeks of doing this the longer side of the wire snapped clean from the mute box meaning it was broken...

I have gone through great hassle to get another cable and would like this new one not to coil so there is no reason for me to have to do anything stupid to it.

Would these ideas I could carry out stop possible coiling, do nothing, or make it worse?

1) Put headset down the same way as I picked it up - I am pretty sure I did this anyway but I could make doubly sure I do this.

2) unplug the cable from the MixAmp pro - this means that whether the headset is out down differently or not, the cable should be free to untangle as it chooses.

3) use a cable tie and tie the unused, sagging wire together in a bow like shape - this means that no wire will be free to move. Not sure if this'll help or not.

If you could let me know if these are good ideas or not that'd be awesome!

Have any of you guys for any other solutions?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Matt

Solution
Main problem is that that cable is too thin. Check out professional audio cables and you'll see they are thicker and stiffer. Anything you do will just mitigate the issue, not solve it. Tying off excess cable is likely the best way for now (3), just remember to use larger loops to avoid breaking the wires.
Main problem is that that cable is too thin. Check out professional audio cables and you'll see they are thicker and stiffer. Anything you do will just mitigate the issue, not solve it. Tying off excess cable is likely the best way for now (3), just remember to use larger loops to avoid breaking the wires.

Solution