Solved! Help $1000 Laptop for brother

goldenp51

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
1. What is your budget?

$1,000-1,200

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14-15" Screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?

As good as I can get that fits the price range

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

More of a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Will be plugged in about 95% of the time so not really an issue

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Latest and greatest World of Warcraft game at highest settings along with games like Starcraft

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Browsing...mainly just playing games and watching youtube videos...minor photo and video editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500GB or more...preferably minimum 750GB...a dual bootable SSD would be nice but probably out of this price range.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Amazon, Newegg, Dell, Sager...no eBay though

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Somewhat future proof to about 4 years for WOW at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Would love a Bluray drive...doesn't need to write but it would be nice to have a BD reader...if not a DVD read/write is ok

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Have had mainly Dell in the past for laptops but I'm open to any solidly built laptop

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

This laptop is for my brother and he mainly just uses it to play WOW. I was looking at some Sager, Alienware, Asus, Toshiba laptops and I'm at a loss. I would like it to have more than 4GB RAM for sure...I was considering the M14x but am worried he wouldn't like the smaller screen...he would love the flashy features of an alienware though. Also looked at the Sager NP8130 or 8150...I want a nvidia 560 gpu or better. I'm not sure the difference between some of the intel i5 vs i7 chipsets...want 4 cores for sure also.

Any help is greatly appreciated...I've been looking for weeks and have been out of gaming for a while so it is hard to know what features are needed.

Thank you!!!