Mar 5, 2021
I have an Acer Predator Helios 500
i7-8750H
NVIDIA GTX 1070
16GB RAM DDR4
1TB HDD
256 GB SSD
1080p G-sync enabled 144HZ display

and i have been getting flickering horizontal black lines all across the screen wile gaming or even when idling it keeps on getting worse upto a point that the screen almost feels like glitching . Even if i connect my laptop to an external LED via HDMI , glitching and flickering appears on that LED as well .
Here is what i have tried to fix it my self :
Uninstalling and reinstalling graphic drivers in safe mode
Repasting CPU and GPU thermal pastes
Deleting every third party app potentially interfering with my Graphic drivers
Resetting windows
Installing latest NVIDIA graphics

But nothing seems to have fixed this issue and it keeps on getting worse and worse . However in every Bench mark test i get upto 250 FPS and GPU temp is 56 to 59 celcius with CPU being 60 to 70 max load
i have never overclocked or undervolted my GPU or CPU ever
I have never had high temps on my laptop .
Can someone plz help me fix this issue or at least identify whats wrong with it and how could this happen suddenly

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
This HAS TO BE either GPU board or..
Gonna sound silly...
1st if this occurs on lap and opting to other monitor as well..
Try turn off
Unplugg from wall
Remove battery for min. 5 mins
Reinstall battery
Move to another outlet not on that same circuit in ur house or maybe drop by buddies house,plug in and replicate if can.if replicates.
Hardware it is..if not on another power circuit.then that power circuit at home is having a low to midrange voltage variation.
This can be caused as simply as a dimmer switch controlling bulbs that arent quite compatable.
If hardware..remove bottom panel..find gnd lead on GPU. Follow through interface as far as can.
Check start til finish point for resistance..if high (.3 ohms and up) look closely for evidence of high high heat. Determine the resistance on the that side of interface..if nominal
On to power supply..check output for pwr at GPU reading with grounding on the ground out on that circuit..if still correct..bye bye GPU..if not easily sounds like a power supply (on mboard) send it for repair at that point

Reactions: DocPr3dator
Mar 5, 2021
This HAS TO BE either GPU board or..
Gonna sound silly...
1st if this occurs on lap and opting to other monitor as well..
Try turn off
Unplugg from wall
Remove battery for min. 5 mins
Reinstall battery
Move to another outlet not on that same circuit in ur house or maybe drop by buddies house,plug in and replicate if can.if replicates.
Hardware it is..if not on another power circuit.then that power circuit at home is having a low to midrange voltage variation.
This can be caused as simply as a dimmer switch controlling bulbs that arent quite compatable.
If hardware..remove bottom panel..find gnd lead on GPU. Follow through interface as far as can.
Check start til finish point for resistance..if high (.3 ohms and up) look closely for evidence of high high heat. Determine the resistance on the that side of interface..if nominal
On to power supply..check output for pwr at GPU reading with grounding on the ground out on that circuit..if still correct..bye bye GPU..if not easily sounds like a power supply (on mboard) send it for repair at that point
Hey bro thank you so much for replying and taking so much time into solving my issue . It turns out that when i tried to connect my Laptop with HDMI to an external LED there was no flickering at all so now i think there is something wrong with my Laptop display connector cable or the display panel itself . Gonna try opening the screen and hopefully fix any loose cables . Wish me luck

Mar 5, 2021
I have an Acer Predator Helios 500
i7-8750H
NVIDIA GTX 1070
16GB RAM DDR4
1TB HDD
256 GB SSD
1080p G-sync enabled 144HZ display

I need help with an issue that we have been facing for past 20 days now . I have an Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 .
We have never had any issue with this laptop for past 2 years now but now we noticed occasionally black horizontal lines almost like glitching across the screen and it kept on getting worse day by day .When i tried to connect an external LED wih my laptop via HDMI , there was abolutely no glitcjing flickering or tearing . Also when i tried recording the screen via windows 10 builtin screen recording , the video was absolutely clean and free of any tearing when viewed on any other device other than my laptop . Also keep in mind that my laptop only uas dedicated NVIDIA 1070 Graphic card and no other Intel Integrated Graphics.

Things that i have tried to fix it my self :

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled my Graphic drivers in safe mode as per advised by Microsoft

2. Uninstalling every third party application on my laptop that could potentially interfere with my Graphics

3.Cleaned the whole laptop and its components and Repasted GPU and CPU with Noctura Thermal paste and replaced thermal pads as well

4.Reinstalled windows

5.Turned off G-sync

6. Set Physx to CPU

7. Detached and reattached eDP 40 pin display cable from both the laptop screen and motherboard

But nothing seemed to have helped me so far . Since my laptop gives perfect dispaly on external monitors so i was forced to believe that there must be something wrong with either my display cable or screen panel . So please assist me in this issue help me figure out what the main problem is and how can i fix this i am attaching pictures and videos for reference .
Regards

Jul 18, 2021
Hi did you eventually figure out the problem?
I'm experiencing the exact same thing and I think it's either a display or a connection (cable/connector) issue.
Doesn't seem to be the GPU as it's not showing on an external monitor.
I'm quite pissed though at the low quality these laptops are. :( Keyboard backlighting has also been an issue, but that didn't bother me as much.

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
Think may found an issue...this may be the driver as it is updated to ver 416.64 . This driver is "supposed to" handle the misalocation of ram space of the on board RAM. This isn't a cable issue anymore. Samsung RAM onboard was not configured correctly. Download auto driver package here
https://uk.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.23.0.74/GeForce_Experience_v3.23.0.74.exe

That'll check your system and update as necc., have talked with only one person who shifted back to the 39xx .xx previous driver to get success..maybe this will work.. IDK