Help Buying a Game Design & Development Laptop

kori_okami

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone and thanks for coming in!

Unfortunately, my current laptop has slowly been slowly crashing over the past week and I am in search of a new Game Design & Development laptop. I know its not the perfect choice, but I'm always on the go.

However, with so many options, I have no clue what I need in a laptop or even what kind to get. I need something that is going to be able to handle a wacom cintiq tablet, and art & animation programs (such as Maya and Photoshop). My maxim budget is $2000 USD.

I have been looking at the Dell Precision, as my current is a Dell Studio, but again, I really have no idea what I need for a new laptop.

Any and all suggestions will be very much appreciated! Thank you very much!

Solution

For a game design, you would be better off without dedicated graphics and just have a card!
You don't really need a gaming laptop unless you intend to game.. Spec's : Good Processor, Alot of rendering will be done, A big Hard drive 2TB least, Good amount of RAM Too .. I don't know which one to go for
Look out for i5 or above if you are going for intel (which you should) Upto you though.
2TB of storage or 1TB as you could use external
6-8GB or Higher in RAM
Win7 or 8 is upto you, Self preference really. Woulden't matter i don't think...

kori_okami

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

I'm well aware of the AlienWare series, however, its more of a gaming laptop, not a game design laptop.

Armo1000

Estimable
Jul 25, 2014

For a game design, you would be better off without dedicated graphics and just have a card!
You don't really need a gaming laptop unless you intend to game.. Spec's : Good Processor, Alot of rendering will be done, A big Hard drive 2TB least, Good amount of RAM Too .. I don't know which one to go for
Look out for i5 or above if you are going for intel (which you should) Upto you though.
2TB of storage or 1TB as you could use external
6-8GB or Higher in RAM
Win7 or 8 is upto you, Self preference really. Woulden't matter i don't think!

This is my opinoin.

Solution

kori_okami

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

Thanks so much for your input! I don't do a lot of gaming any more, and if I do, its not really on the computer. However, I do like to watch and play a lot of videos on my computer while I'm designing.

I'm also already use to intel and probably wouldn't use anything else. As for windows, I'd have to go with Windows 7 (Haven't heard anything good about 8 and hate using it myself).

Any suggestions for a specific laptops?

Armo1000

Estimable
Jul 25, 2014

I think this would suite you best
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216536