Help choosing a laptop

shinfujiwara

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hey there, guys. I really need your help choosing my next primary machine. Let me specify my needs:

- Up to €700
- Ivy or Haswell
- Low/Mid end discrete graphics
- Battery life isn't a real issue, 2h+ is fine
- 13" to 15"
- 2.5kg or lighter would be ideal
- RAM, battery and storage have to be upgradable

Also, I'd be buying it from Ireland so I guess Irish and British stores are preferable. Since I got here in Ireland I've bought things from Amazon.co.uk and Argos.ie and also heard good things about Komplett.ie. But if you guys now any other stores with better models and prices, let me know.

I already found some models that seem to have a good value withing my budget but I'm not quite sure about them. Here are the links:

MSI CX61
Samsung NP370R5E-S01NL
Asus K56CB-XX005H

I believe the MSI is the best buy from the 3 because of the nice CPU/GPU combo + the mSATA slot for some SSD goodness later on. What do you guys think? Could I find a better deal at this price point ATM? I've been trying to find Haswell offers but nothing yet I guess?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Jozko

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I havent seen better models, I prefer CX61.

shinfujiwara

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

You would suggest the R505CB over the CX61, right? May I ask what would be the benefits?

The CPU on the Asus is an U-Series and the GPU is similar (740M vs 645M). So I guess performance wise, the Asus is a little bit slower, right? But then again, performance is not everything so I'd like to know why the Asus solution is a better choice over the MSI.