Help choosing a slim budget laptop ~$300

omnipresent

Estimable
May 19, 2015
1. What is your budget?
<$300; the cheaper the better

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'm thinking ~13 inches is exactly what I need. 15 is too big and 11 too small.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter, but if it doesn't raise the cost too much, obviously higher res is preferred

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Just portable; I have a desktop at home which will be my main powerhouse. I need something that I can take to school with me. So portability is my biggest concern. I am hoping for something VERY thin and VERY lightweight.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Enough to make it through a school day... maybe 5-6 hours (?) But obviously the longer the better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No. The most I would do on this would be web browser games, but nothing too intensive.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Some light coding (python), nothing too huge. For that I will wait until I can use my desktop. However, if it can muster some minimal photo editing that would be nice.

I think I could manage with 2gb RAM but 4 is what I am really aiming for.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not hugely important, but the more the better.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
This is the computer I am leaning toward right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N99FXIS/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B00HRO3IBA
Wondering if there is anything better at a lower price range?

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Through college (4 years)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Brand doesn't matter.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am open to buying either windows or chromebook, whichever gives me the best bang for my buck. The big thing I am looking for is sleekness and lightness for portability (Macbookk-esque). So probably <.8 inches thick and <3 lbs. I am willing to sacrifice SOME power for portability and price but I also don't want to get some wimpy machine.

So right now I think the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (in the amazon link) is the best option, but I want to get the opinion of someone else to see if there is something better around the same price and maybe cheaper.

Totally open to buying refurbished to save money.

omnipresent

Estimable
May 19, 2015

This laptop is actually used in my household, and while it is decent enough, it is not what I am looking for. I figured the 4gb of RAM might help with the celeron on the toshiba and the stream only has 2gb RAM. Anything a bit more powerful? I would be willing to increase my budget a little for it.