Solved! Help connecting bose earbuds to laptop

Apr 2, 2018
Hey guys, I am currently experiencing a bit of a hardware related issue. I am using an Acer Aspire 5750G-6480 series laptop, running windows 7 ultimate and am attempting to no avail to use connect via an IOgear micro usb 4.0 bluetooth adapter (model GBU521W6) using my bose wireless soundsport earbuds. Please help!

Solution
Apr 2, 2018
Hey Hang, so on my laptop, i pressed fn + f3. When I look into the devices and printers, this eventually allows the headphones to be supposedly paired correctly. I know this is the case because the headphones say they are working properly, and a voice over the headphones appears like when I am connecting via bluetooth successfully to any of my other devices - saying it is connected to _______________ device (place the name of the device in the box via voiceover. When I double click on the headphones under control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> devices and printers, two options show up under audio "to use remote device's speaker to listen to audio from this pc," or "To use this pc's speaker to listen to stereo audio on a remote device..." When I connect either way, a dialog box appears stating that the connection was successful, and the typical voiceover as stated above does play via the headphones. To my relative knowledge, I am assuming this means the bluetooth connection is working successfully. One important thing to mention is that for some reason the bluetooth adapter fits extremely snug into the usb port on my laptop and was very hard to both remove and to plug in - unlike normal. Not sure if maybe I need some special adapter or something. I am not entirely sure how to update to the latest drivers and ensure that they are the most relevant and up to date. Thank you for your patience in my response.

Drivers you would get from the vendor support site for whatever hardware you are using. So the headphones are actually paired to the computer but no sound comes from them, is that the issue? Did you check in the sound options to see if they are listed there as a output device?

Apr 2, 2018

Hey Hang, so the one that I am using is the Qualcomm Atheros driver. Last night I connected to the computer with my earbuds and no sound came out. Today, I tried to install the updated driver and something must have gone wrong, as it says that the drivers were not successfully installed. I am unsure as to whether you are referring to the right clicking of the speaker icon in the bottom right of the taskbar, then under sounds it only says VB-Audio Virtual Cable as an output. Please suggest where to proceed from here. Again thanks alot for the help.

Sounds like you have no audio setup on the system at all, if you go to Device Manager, do you see your sound card installed properly? That virtual cable is only there if you install it to try to get audio from two different sources playing at once to different outputs. You need to be able to have the audio output setup to get sound, with the way the system is, are you even getting sound out of the speakers? I'd uninstall the Virtual Cable setup and see if that helps. You should see your standard sound card and then the bluetooth there for picking the output.

Apr 2, 2018

Hello Hang. I went to device manager, as far as I can tell, there are four audio listings: AnvSoft virtual sound device, Intel (R) display audio, Virtual audio device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) and Realtek High Definition audio, all of which appear to be working properly. Yes I am getting sound from the speakers, and via your standard 3.5 mm input jack. What I did was try to install the drivers (duh from the little IOgear bluetooth to usb adapter. Under bluetooth radios, it states Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB device and Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 usb both as working properly. However initially upon restart of successful install from the install CD, the device driver tries to install, but then a notification comes up mentioning it has not been successfully installed. Should I be installing the softwared initially from the cd, then restarting, waiting for the driver to install, then plug in the usb bluetooth adapter or does it matter?

The driver should install with the dongle in the system, some driver packages won't even install if the hardware is not plugged in. You can try uninstalling it all, deleting it from device manager and starting clean. You may want to get rid of those virtual audio programs also unless you know you need them. Did you check with support for the adapter?

Solution
Apr 2, 2018
I deleted it. And I deleted the rest of the bluetooth stuff as well. Figured I might as well start fresh. I am back to square one with the fact that my bluetooth earbuds aren't even visible, even though the bluetooth is turned on. Not only this, but the adapter's driver software did not install successfully with the CD-ROM or via plugging in the adapter itself.