Question Need help connecting Old USB Harmon/Kardon SoundSticks and new 2021 Dell XPS laptop

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I have some old USB Harmon Kardon SoundSticks that work fine; they were tested with other Windows and Mac laptops, a Windows PC, and even my Android phone (with a USB adapter)!

I have a new Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10 with all of the current patches as well as Dell's firmware updates.

I am unable to get the XPS and the SoundSticks to play together.

FWIW, I have an HDMI monitor with speakers which work fine.

The laptop plays the confirmation sound when I plug the SoundSticks into a USB port (using the adapter that comes with the laptop that was used when testing with my Android phone).

I can see the sound sticks under Sound, video and game controllers in the device manager.

When I run speccy (hardware monitor tool) I can see the Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks listed under Audio->Sound Cards

The SoundSticks do not appear in available playback devices under the speaker icon in the windows taskbar so I am unable to select them.

Any help would be most welcome!

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I actually did try that a while ago. I removed "Realtek (R) Audio" from the device manager and rebooted. As soon as I removed it, I lost all speaker functionality, but the reboot reinstalled it. I have also tried updating the driver but it says that it is at the most current release (1/6/2021)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I actually did try that a while ago. I removed "Realtek (R) Audio" from the device manager and rebooted. As soon as I removed it, I lost all speaker functionality, but the reboot reinstalled it. I have also tried updating the driver but it says that it is at the most current release (1/6/2021)
This is an odd one, that is for sure. When you connected the SoundSticks, did Windows auto-install drivers or did you manually install them?

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Windows discovered the SoundSticks and installed the appropriate drivers; I have not installed anything for them myself.

FWIW, under "Bluetooth and Other Devices", the speakers appear as a USB Composite Device next to a speaker icon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1
darren12341234 Laptop Tech Support 1
Coldheartednite Laptop Tech Support 8
Somlu1 Laptop Tech Support 7
O Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
Shrey30 Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 2