Question Need help connecting Old USB Harmon/Kardon SoundSticks and new 2021 Dell XPS laptop

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I have some old USB Harmon Kardon SoundSticks that work fine; they were tested with other Windows and Mac laptops, a Windows PC, and even my Android phone (with a USB adapter)!

I have a new Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10 with all of the current patches as well as Dell's firmware updates.

I am unable to get the XPS and the SoundSticks to play together.

FWIW, I have an HDMI monitor with speakers which work fine.

The laptop plays the confirmation sound when I plug the SoundSticks into a USB port (using the adapter that comes with the laptop that was used when testing with my Android phone).

I can see the sound sticks under Sound, video and game controllers in the device manager.

When I run speccy (hardware monitor tool) I can see the Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks listed under Audio->Sound Cards

The SoundSticks do not appear in available playback devices under the speaker icon in the windows taskbar so I am unable to select them.

Any help would be most welcome!

Reactions: JaredW26

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I actually did try that a while ago. I removed "Realtek (R) Audio" from the device manager and rebooted. As soon as I removed it, I lost all speaker functionality, but the reboot reinstalled it. I have also tried updating the driver but it says that it is at the most current release (1/6/2021)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I actually did try that a while ago. I removed "Realtek (R) Audio" from the device manager and rebooted. As soon as I removed it, I lost all speaker functionality, but the reboot reinstalled it. I have also tried updating the driver but it says that it is at the most current release (1/6/2021)
This is an odd one, that is for sure. When you connected the SoundSticks, did Windows auto-install drivers or did you manually install them?

jordanthompson

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Windows discovered the SoundSticks and installed the appropriate drivers; I have not installed anything for them myself.

FWIW, under "Bluetooth and Other Devices", the speakers appear as a USB Composite Device next to a speaker icon

Jul 17, 2021
hi I had a quick question and I would really appreciate it if you would give me your Insight you said you connected your Harman Kardon speakers to your Android phone via the USB adapter how did they sound were they playing like normal or did they sound lower than normal? thank you so much for your time and for your help and answering me my question if you get around to doing it I appreciate it I hope to hear from you soon