help connecting pc to tv by hdmi lead

Moonspinner

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
I have connected my PC to my Samsung TV by an HDMI lead but when I go in to resolution screen on my PC to set it up and add the second monitor It will not save the settings. I have the option to extend the monitor but it is unable to save settings. Does anyone have an idea why this it so as I was told that using an HDMI lead was easy.

Solution
Hello... You need to either 1) Control panel-Sound- and activate the sound source from the HDMI output device.
2) Run a Audio output cable from your sound card to the TV.
3) Set your TV audio to the HDMI sound source.

miggtt699

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

You're probably mirroring your screen and it's trying to keep the resolutions the same.

Try and clicking Windows Key+P till a menu pops up and select secondary display only, then try and change the resolution.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Using the last HDMI port of your TV typically communicates and works best for PC use.
1) Do you get the message "would you like to save these Display settings?"
2) What settings are you trying to use? Make sure you start out with "native" screens sizes of your monitor and Tv.

Moonspinner

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015

When I did the right click on desktop for resolution I added monitor 2 and found that when I tried to apply after the drop down window to extend it then said unable to save setting. I will try the Windows + P to see if that way will save it.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... You need to either 1) Control panel-Sound- and activate the sound source from the HDMI output device.
2) Run a Audio output cable from your sound card to the TV.
3) Set your TV audio to the HDMI sound source.

Solution

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 3) You have to use your TV Remote control to navigate all the option/menu screens... See if the HDMI port # has a option menu OR if your Sound menu has settings there for input information.
Check your TV manual/PDF for the MENU's and HOW to Access to them. B )

Moonspinner

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015

slotguyed

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Ironsounds, if I want to show PC games from my GT760 video card to my Vizio LCD I can run an HDMI cable from the video card to the HDMI port on the back of the LCD tv . I have 2 questions then;1. what do I do if my vid card runs at 1920x1080 and the LCD is only 720p? 2. Will I get sound through the HDMI cable or is there another hoop to jump through for that?

I will greatly appreciate any help and answers you can give me.

slotguyed

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Thanks for your quick reply. I didn't mean to jump the thread but it seemed to cover most of my questions except for what I asked you. I will give your response a try. I have to run a 35 foot HDMI cable because it's the quickest and safest way to connect to my tv from my PC.