Help finding right pair of headphones?

Scuttx

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
So I will be gaming with these so plug and play is the probably the most important thing. This will be my first pair of "real" headphones. I've been really interested in the AKG K77 Precision. I like the K99 too but it's just a little to expensive. Will the K77 Precision be good? I also looked at the senhiesser hd419 but the AkG K seems way better. I also like the Superlux 668B, but the akg k77 still looks better. So here is my question, Is there any closed headphones around that price range that will plug and play and be good for gaming? I want closed because my computer is right next to the tv and my whole family hangs out there. After plug and play, comfort is the next priority then sound stage then sound quality, I would happily give some sound quality for really nice, comfy pads on the top and ears. Also, I know this doesn't really matter, but I like geniune retro looking headphones. Any suggestions?

Solution
How well do the Rage isolate you from outside noise if you don't play anything through them?

For $100 these are probably your best bet: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1453496657&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+280+PRO

They isolate really well. But really, to achieve total isolation you'd probably need ear phones. ANC would only help you if the background/ambient doesn't change tones too often, a computer fan will be blocked, but people talking might not be depending on distance. Since you're in the same room, I would try a good pair of ear phones, but honestly, the difference isn't that big. If you can you could drive to a store and try different...

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
have never heard how any AKG products actually sound before. most of the reviews i've seen for them are 3-4 out of 5. not wonderful ratings but good enough for under $50.
have owned some Senhiesser products. their speakers are some of the best in their price range and most of their hardware gets great reviews.
either of those for ~$35 should be a good deal.

any 3.5mm headphones will be "plug-n-play". so that shouldn't be an issue for you no matter what you choose.

i currently have SteelSeries 5Hv3 3.5mm over-ear headphones and they sound great, best I've tried out of 5-6 different sets, with a great sounding pull-out microphone.
also have a $30 pair of wireless/bluetooth Emerson headphones that have optional 3.5mm audio cable. they also sound great and have a built-in hidden mic that sounds great. can find a bluetooth dongle for ~$10 nowadays. i much prefer the wireless even it would mean very slight reduction in sound quality. i can't stand having a cable draped over or near me while gaming.

cant say i'm terribly familiar with the cheaper end of things.. generally i'm more involved in more expensive product recommendations.

perhaps this sums it up best http://www.head-fi.org/t/546950/akg-k77-review if you were interested in the k77. doesnt seem like anything spectacular but does have fairly crisp low tones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/352207/best-closed-headphones-under-50 or http://www.head-fi.org/t/647021/closed-headphone-recommendations-under-50 are worth looking at for alternatives

i will say that the hd419/429/439 are decent budget cans and i've read up a bit more on those than some other choices. pretty bassy too if you're into that sort of thing. senn cans tend to be more mellow sounding and more easy listening and generally do not nitpick on source quality as much as some other brighter and more detailed cans do.

the superlux 668b for the price are also stellar and can give headphones of far greater price a good run for their money. however, they absolutely require good quality recordings to be used and decent hardware. if you are using a crap setup, they will let you know quick. this could be a benefit if using high quality sources but they are not forgiving of crappy mp3 files and bad source hardware.

What exactly do you want, you can't have everything?

Whether or not headphones are closed or not doesn't mean they all isolate you from outside noise. The K77's don't isolate at all in my opinion, not even muffle outside noise. You may want to look into a pair of headphones or even headset for long term instead, rather than buying cheap crap that break after X months.

As far as gaming is concerned, without getting ANC, the Creative Rage do a fantastic job of isolating you from outside noise. They are above your budget it seems, but really, don't buy cheap crap, you'll definitely regret it. You don't have or work in a studio, you don't/want/need studio headphones. It doesn't matter how great the soundstage is, the slightest amount of outside noise will be enough for you to not hear those subtle details at all.

Again, my recommendation for a good allround at $55: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic3D-Wireless-Headset/dp/B00Q3XLL2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1453437937&sr=8-1&keywords=Creative+Rage

If you need or want a greater level of isolation from outside noise, then consider researching Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) headphones. If the ambient around you is far enough to sound a bit unclear, there's a good chance the ANC picks it up and blocks it completely. Computer fans definitely count, as the main use for ANC is travelling, so engines, etc.

All the best!

Scuttx

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

First off, what would you reccomend for a 60-70 dollar ANC headphone? I saw the creative hn-900, and NoiseHush I7-12174 Active Noise-Cancelling which looks ok. I think they both need 3 triple a batteries for the noise cancelaction.

Well I can't afford anything over 60 dollars. But funnily enough I have the rage tactic3d wireless and I hate them so much! They stopped charging after about 6 months and sound quality is ok and the mic is ok. They aren't comfortable on the top of my head and can never connect. I cut in out throughout competitive games and they are just really frustrating. If I were to skip a few meals what would you reccomend for around 100 dollars? I know it's cheap but it's the best I can do and it still probably wont happen.

How well do the Rage isolate you from outside noise if you don't play anything through them?

For $100 these are probably your best bet: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1453496657&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+280+PRO

They isolate really well. But really, to achieve total isolation you'd probably need ear phones. ANC would only help you if the background/ambient doesn't change tones too often, a computer fan will be blocked, but people talking might not be depending on distance. Since you're in the same room, I would try a good pair of ear phones, but honestly, the difference isn't that big. If you can you could drive to a store and try different headphones, ignore how they sound, but focus on sound isolation.

Solution

Scuttx

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

Wow, im probably going to go with the ones you listed. There is a bundle that comes with the blue snowball for only 10 dollars extra and I have 10 dollar gift card so that pretty great.

The rage isolate really well actually, I have trouble when people try to talk to me I just can't hear them. They'd be great if they didn't break so easily. They don't carge or connect but the headphone itself is good. At first I thought it was just mine but I looked at reviews and it was happening to a lot of people

I looked at some ANC headphones and I don't think it's worth it. I saw sound leaks a lot and you have to sacrifice a lot to get a cheap pair.

The Rage use RF not Bluetooth. One of the problems with RF is just that, but the fact that it comes with a very bad (in my opinion) transmitter just makes it all worse. It's never a good thing to use a full size "USB stick". A Bluetooth adapter is not only more stable, but the sound difference can be considered audiophile due to the fact that high end headphones now support the A2DP APTX codec, which obviously you would have to pair with a APTX compatible transmitter. You'll be happy with that purchase, it's wired but it's not impossible to replace the wire if you happend to break it.