help I bricked my dell inspiron 5555 during bios update, no boot, no bios

Michael_510

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
dell started overheating it seemed at frozen bios update, made the dumb split decision to power it off after the fan was going full speed for a good amount of time and I could feel plenty of heat from the keyboard. help please I just bought this thing and now its useless

Solution
I did the same dumb thing. It stalled at 60% and was running like crazy. Understandable mistake, right? (Or was it really a fail?) Dell said to send it in, just barely under warranty still. Phone call took about two hours.

I tried the POST bypass (for the AMD chipped 5555 it is [strike]Home[/strike] End not Ctrl-Esc before power), but no luck. See http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20002158 Now I'm wondering now if removing the inside watch battery would do it and save me 15 days of waiting. I'd try it right now but the laptop is not here. Later today.

SSD side note, if you're interested:

I had already removed the cover where the CMOS/BIOS battery is to replace the 1TB HDD with an $89 Samsung 256MB SSD. Well worth...

Spacejunkie

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hi
Michael, generally when the BIOS update fails, the motherboard dies.... I am afraid you may not have much options. This is not only with Dell, any manufacturer as a matter of fact.

lapageck

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I did the same dumb thing. It stalled at 60% and was running like crazy. Understandable mistake, right? (Or was it really a fail?) Dell said to send it in, just barely under warranty still. Phone call took about two hours.

I tried the POST bypass (for the AMD chipped 5555 it is [strike]Home[/strike] End not Ctrl-Esc before power), but no luck. See http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20002158 Now I'm wondering now if removing the inside watch battery would do it and save me 15 days of waiting. I'd try it right now but the laptop is not here. Later today.

SSD side note, if you're interested:

I had already removed the cover where the CMOS/BIOS battery is to replace the 1TB HDD with an $89 Samsung 256MB SSD. Well worth it if you don't need the space. The laptop ran so much faster, night and day. Other advantages: cooler, lighter, less power, no moving parts. How much trouble was it? The laptop was basically new so I did a clean Win10 install instead of trying the migration CD that came with the SSD. The Win10 install went like this: create a rescue USB, which takes about an hour. Then with the new SSD installed, boot into the USB and it takes another few hours. I don't really understand UEFI secure boot, but there was no problem. I entered some code from the sticker on the computer - or was it from the system screen before I did the switch? Microsoft explains it all if you look up the rescue USB procedure. Very simple. I did not have to make any BIOS changes.

Solution

lapageck

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
One more thing, I've had some indication (from a few places, but very vague) that the Win10 Dell BIOS utility may possibly be buggy. Not sure if this machine was originally Win8, they gave it to me at work. I did notice one of the BIOS updates was to make the update procedure better!

lapageck

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
[strike]I tried removing the watch-style battery for a minute and replacing it. Result: total death. Now I can't get it to turn on with the Home-Power bypassing POST trick. No more green light flashing.[/strike]

TRENDING THREADS