Help in choosing laptop

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
My friend is looking for a laptop he wants a dell laptop I told him that with the things he want to do he doesn't need an exspensive one this is what he says

1.Going to cancel my cable and get netflix and wwe network,but going to keep my internet.

2.take all my music from my older cpu and transfer it to the laptop, set the new laptop up like my cpu is/was

3.I would like it to play movies, music and games, and ofc browse the net.

4.I would like to setup the windows media player on the laptop as is on my cpu, mp3 format and all.

5.Make cds,copy movies,play cds and dvds and blu ray "if possible"

6.my music file on the cpu is currently at 300gb

7.I want to hook up the laptop to my hd tv and watch netflix and wwe network and dvds

8.Have my pictures on there and load them on cds "if possible"

9.Browse net, going to hook up my Internet modem ethernet to laptop as well, need ports

10.Use the youtube converter to mp3 format like before.

11.Watch movies from vaughn like we did on jtv.

12. i know i will need alot of ram and space, but you probably already new that..lol

13. want to be able to hook it up to my hdtv,speakers

14. Need usb ports, hdmi ports, speaker ports, ethernet

I can spend up to $800, but can go to around $900...

Backlit keyboard would be ok, non touch screen is fine, able to hook up mouse is needed, printer and hook ups. .

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Any entry level laptop will meet those needs just look at any laptop in your price range and you cant go wrong . Just so you know its not called a cpu its called a PC(personal computer) a CPU is a central processing unit.

From what I have seen Blu-Ray drives are installed on more expensive laptops that generally cost $1,000 or more. However, that is something I generally do not look for so it is possible that it many be available on a $900 laptop. Especially if a $1,000+ laptop is discounted to $900.

The ability to play games is the most important factor when it comes to the cost of the laptop. The more performance your friend wants the more the laptop will cost. For $800 - $900 your friend can get a laptop with a dedicate GPU. A laptop with a Geforce 940m will probably run you about $600. It is a "mainstream performance" GPU which is generally good enough for most people who wants good performance with medium quality graphics playing at 1366x768 / 1600x900 resolution. The higher performing GeForce GTX 860m will likely be in a $800 - $900 laptop.

Jacob Jagielski

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

If he can wait a few days, this laptop seems decent http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-17-3-Laptop-Computer/dp/B00O2S6L4K/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433379013&sr=1-5&keywords=Dell+laptop i dont think your going to play games with this computer, i personally wouldn't go with dell. But if he wants to play games i would reccomend getting an Asus or sager. They both have laptops within your price range that perform great and better than a dell laptop

Not a good choice since the 128GB SSD is too small to store his 300GB worth of music. Also the integrated Intel HD 5500 graphics core will limit the person's ability to play games depend on which games he is referring to.

Jacob Jagielski

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

True but like i said at that price range the person is better off buying a Asus laptop for a little more money

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

Best Buy is an awful place to buy a laptop.

They only have really mainstream models and their deals are not generally good at all.

Do you know what games he wants to play?

Btw, a lot of laptops now don't come with optical drives, and Blu-Ray is rare. However, you can just go to Amazon or Newegg and get an external Blu-Ray drive for around $40 that connects via USB. If you get a laptop without an optical drive, you're going to need to get an external anyways. May as well get a Blu-Ray external.

Jacob Jagielski

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-DS71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-GTX960M/dp/B00T7XRH2A/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433446387&sr=1-2&keywords=asus+rog This model comes equiped with a GTX 960m which is equal to a previous Gen GTX 860m, it may not be as good as the 970m and 980m big dogs but it't enough to do gaming. I know it's a little over his price point but i believe that if the person spends a bit more to get this laptop, it will be more worth it than getting a dell that can do little gaming. I have seen some Gaming laptop go less than $900 but the catch was that they were used.

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

You can get laptops that can easily game for sub-$600. It just depends on the level of gaming.

The GL551JW isn't bad, though. It's a little high for what it is, unfortunately, as you can get an Alienware 15 with a GTX 965M and a 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS display with 7 hours of battery life for $1099.

Those are not very graphically intensive games. I recommend the following 15.6" ASUS X555LB-NS51 with a Core i5-5200u and GeForce 940m @ Newegg.com for $570. It is basically the only laptop that I am aware of with a dedicated GPU for less than $600. It seems to be only available at Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232376&cm_re=asus_940m-_-34-232-376-_-Product

Edit: I missed the point about Photoshop. The biggest weakness of the Asus is it's display which is just a TN panel. It's okay for the average user and gamer. But if color accuracy is important, then it is likely not a laptop for your friend.

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

The Q502LA from Best Buy would be a good way to go, then. Here is a list of some good options, a couple of them are from Best Buy. The Q502LA is $799 from Best Buy and has a really great 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS touch display, which would be idea for Photoshop work, as IPS displays provide the best viewing angles and color reproduction. The Intel HD 5500 graphics are more than enough to play those games, and they perform quite well in general with even much more graphically intense games.

The cheaper alternative would be the Dell Inspiron 15 i7547 thats on clearance for $609. It's got last gen's Intel HD 4400 graphics, but still capable of that lighter level of gaming, and still comes with an IPS display.

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014

No, most of them won't.

You should be able to just get an external optical drive from Best Buy as well. It'll just plug in via USB when you need it so it doesn't consume extra battery and make the machine bulky when 99% of the time you don't use it.