Help Installing Another SSD on Laptop

Nov 21, 2018
My laptop (HP Pavilion 15-cw0088nr ) came in with a HP 128gb PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (no HHD) and I would like to add another SSD so I can have more storage space. I'll use the 128 as OS & 500 for storage. Do I need to install Windows again or I just need to plug new SSD and its ready to go since I'm not using it for OS?

Also what is the difference between HP Solid State Harddrive S700 500GB 25 SATA III 3D NAND and the one that came in with my laptop - can I install the S700 on my laptop? Thanks

Solution
You don't have to reinstall Windows to add a data drive. The NVME drive uses a different port to interface with your system. The SATA SSD mentioned just installs where a HDD would (just like a hard drive, in fact). I have a Dell that has both an NVME and SATA SSD. Yours likely works just the same.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't have to reinstall Windows to add a data drive. The NVME drive uses a different port to interface with your system. The SATA SSD mentioned just installs where a HDD would (just like a hard drive, in fact). I have a Dell that has both an NVME and SATA SSD. Yours likely works just the same.

Solution