Solved! HELP..Laptop battery light Off and a few sparks when cord inserted (dropped 1 year ago)

Mar 14, 2019
wrong thread before??#1
Oh well..newer HP laptop dropped a year ago so probably bent inside a little but worked fine until yesterday when arriving home with it from New Orleans. We bought a new cord at drop time because spouse said the dropping bent inside of laptop. With "proper positioning"of pc to charge it, it has worked perfectly ever since. Suddenly, I inserted cord into laptop and saw a few little sparks. Each time i insert the cord into laptop, the green light goes off but turns on when I remove cord. Spouse claims he knows how to fix it with a ??pigtail (or something like that) that he cannot find??? He is not computer wise but knows electrical stuff. can anyone help me? I am using an OLD VISTA GATEWAY...BTW..it seems as if older pc's were made sturdier than our new one's. Thanks for reading!!

Solution
If you saw sparks you may well have damaged the device. It could easily have been damaged with the fall (which you said it was bent) and over time inserting and removing the charger would add to the damage. Your travels, which would mean a lot of movement on the device, could simply have hit its breaking point.

I would not suggest opening it up and working on it unless you know your computers. It is way to easy to fry something else that would cost more to replace than getting a new device.

My advise, take it to a local tech. They can usually give you an idea of cost prior to doing the work. After looking at it of course.
If you saw sparks you may well have damaged the device. It could easily have been damaged with the fall (which you said it was bent) and over time inserting and removing the charger would add to the damage. Your travels, which would mean a lot of movement on the device, could simply have hit its breaking point.

I would not suggest opening it up and working on it unless you know your computers. It is way to easy to fry something else that would cost more to replace than getting a new device.

My advise, take it to a local tech. They can usually give you an idea of cost prior to doing the work. After looking at it of course.

Solution
Mar 14, 2019

Sorry..may have chosen wrong site..

Mar 14, 2019
I appreciate your interest. However, I may have gone to wrong site..I simply need to replace the "power jack" because it was bent a year ago when i dropped it on my carpet..The pc works fine with what battery life is left (not much though)..I think the sparks were shorting out the inner jack..I know not much but was hoping someone could tell me where to get this power jack My husband refers to it as "pigtails" as he is into electrical automotive stuff..Thanks anyway..I don't know how to add the pic to show you. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1APd0DkxRmxUygGtZTYjGb1oLYyaWg7mS

I understood, and this is the right site. There are two actually. Tom's Guide and Tom's Hardware. But they are sister/brother sites.

While I am sure it can be repaired, I am just letting you know that if not done carefully and correctly, you can fry the port, the motherboard, and a lot more.

If, however, you can find/see the damage, and it is within the charger port itself, then it may be easily replace. Not all of them are easily removed and replaced. Can't know without looking to see how yours is actually connected.

Should he choose to do the work himself, after confirming that the spark is just coming from the port, then I would highly suggest you back up your personal data off of the computer to an external drive. You don't want it wiped.