Help!Laptop fan spins when power on and lights indicator shows and usb ports works but no display and no sound

khaishitaro

Great
Mar 4, 2018
I need help! i have and old Asus X80L laptop it used to work but now when i turn it on there’s no display even when connecting to an external monitor

When i turn it on the power on light and hdd indicator shows but theres no display.The cpu fan spins,hdd spins and there’s no sound from the laptop and I don’t know what’s wrong

Some say that the motherboard are dead but the usb ports works and cd drive spins,Does all of them work even if the mobo is dead?..i also tried everything like reseating the ram(didn’t try a new ram tho),take out the battery and pressing the on button for 1 minute but still nothing

So can anyone tell me what’s wrong and how i can fix it?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Things on my 2nd message do only if you DO NOT HAVE WARRANTY. If you where just browsing more likely dead graphics chip but you can try these things. Some rare occasions replacing bios battery on the motherboard works.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can then see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Try boot without any ram installed. Do you get error beeps or lights flashing?
try boot with only 1 ram stick on slot1 and then slot2 after that. always remove power cable and battery before swapping ram.
Look ports around laptop for any broken or misplaced pins which could cause a short, Especially USB ports.

Remove all peripheral devices like usb mouse or keyboard and try boot without. Remove HDD and try to boot, do you get something on screen?
If not then its probably corrupted bios or most likely dead gpu like webworkings said

What happened before screen went black? Where you playing or something else which causes gpu to go high temperature? Bios update?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
If its out of warranty disassembly carefully : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dHdMkfmINA

EDIT: link above was for wrong model, didnt find for yours exactly try to search, this was closest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7umQTPQagk

- remove dvd, try to boot
- check if fan is blocked with clean.
- boot without keyboard, if your power button is connected with keyboard you can boot when you remove round bios battery from the motherboard. It boots without bios battery even without power button when you put power cable in.

Try remove screen cable and put external monitor connected. Try boot with cable or power button.

khaishitaro

Great
Mar 4, 2018
Fagetti ..I didn’t do anything with it before didn’t update a thing and last thing I remember i was browsing the Internet shut down the laptop then the next day the display didn’t show a thing

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Things on my 2nd message do only if you DO NOT HAVE WARRANTY. If you where just browsing more likely dead graphics chip but you can try these things. Some rare occasions replacing bios battery on the motherboard works.

Solution