Help me choose a convertible! (student)

DrSocks

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I'm starting medical school in a few months, and I would like to get a convertible for note taking. My problem is choosing from the large number available (or soon to be). I am leaning more towards a 2-in-1 over a tablet because 1) I am concerned about some of them not being compatible with programs I'm going to need to use, and 2) I like the look, feel, and size of convertibles better.

Important factors:
1. Exceptionally good touch screen note-taking ability. (I have gathered that an active digitizer is important for this. I have no idea what that means, but I think it's important?) I also want a keyboard that I can type quickly on.
2. Price. This search is difficult for me as I am used to searching for the fastest thing I can find.
3. Battery life.
4. Speed. I don't want to wait long to boot up, and I don't want to start lagging as I take more notes (apparently some do when you're using more than one page of OneNote). However, I do not need to run Bioshock Infinite.

I am aware that some products run a version of Windows that is incompatible with installing programs (I think RT?). I am not 100% about this. Just something a dude at Best Buy told me.

Devices in the running so far in no particular order:
Acer Aspire R7 -- Drawback being battery life
Lenovo - IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro (4gig version) -- Drawback being no active digitizer (possibly a deal-breaking fault)
Sony Vaio Duo series -- Large drawback involving price
HP Envy x2 -- Drawback being battery life
Surface and Surface 2 -- Price and unknown versions of Windows running on them (as per Mr. Best Buy again) being the drawbacks
<<Whatever you suggest>> I am still not 100% opposed to a tablet if I can be sure it will do what I want it to do.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. It's a large, important purchase for me, and I would like to get it right.

Solution
There is the Sony Vaio Flip series which is related to the Duo series, but more like a traditional laptop. Comes in 13.3", 14" and 15.6" sizes. You have to buy a digital pen because it does not come with one; cost start at about $45 - $50 for a digital pen from what I gathered.

http://store.sony.com/vaio-flip-pcs/cat-27-catid-Computers-Convertible-Flip-Series

The Flip 14 is the least expensive while the Flip 13 is by far the most expensive. The weight may be an issue since it's approximate weight is 4.32lbs. That means when carrying it around to take notes it can be a bit heavy after a while. Personally, i would choose the $900 model which comes with a Core i5 rather than a Pentium CPU.

Here's a review of the Flip 13...
There is the Sony Vaio Flip series which is related to the Duo series, but more like a traditional laptop. Comes in 13.3", 14" and 15.6" sizes. You have to buy a digital pen because it does not come with one; cost start at about $45 - $50 for a digital pen from what I gathered.

http://store.sony.com/vaio-flip-pcs/cat-27-catid-Computers-Convertible-Flip-Series

The Flip 14 is the least expensive while the Flip 13 is by far the most expensive. The weight may be an issue since it's approximate weight is 4.32lbs. That means when carrying it around to take notes it can be a bit heavy after a while. Personally, i would choose the $900 model which comes with a Core i5 rather than a Pentium CPU.

Here's a review of the Flip 13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxrBLbCggiw

Solution

DrSocks

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Wow! Great find! I made a custom one on the website for $970 which included the flash HDD. I think that's worth the added cost.

I'll have to look into this more when I get home from work. Thanks again! :)