Help me choose which speakers to buy?

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi, I want to buy speakers for my PC which is in a small room (5x4m maybe) and want to use them mainly for music and movies. I want some bass as well as volume and good enough sound quality, my budget is very low (around £100) which is why these are the speakers I'm linking, please help me to choose which ones will be the best. Also, let me know if I should buy a separate sub woofer with any of these for more bass or will these be enough for me do you think?

These are the speakers I'm considering buying:
Tibo Harmony 2
Tibo Plus Mini
Wharfedale Diamond 9.0
Mackie CR Series CR3
Micca MB42X
M-Audio AV42

If you find any other speakers that you might think are better around the same price please let me know :).

Thanks.

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

To be honest I'm a total newby when it comes to speakers so I had no idea about any of this :s. I don't want to spend too much on my speakers so if I went for the non powered speakers the amp couldn't be too expensive. If the non powered speakers that I posted are a lot better than te ones with the amplification built in then I'd rather get those as long as the amp is not too expensive. Sorry I have no idea about any of this which is why I'm asking for help on this forum ^^.

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

Thanks a lot for your help! Can I ask why these are the best powered speakers I'll get for this price?
Also what about the speakers the Lutfij recommended?
And if I was to get an amp and spend a that £50 extra or whatever it would be, which speakers + amp would you recommend then?

The t40s ??yeah they're cracking 'little desktop speakers' with good sound & decent volume.

If youre going to sit in front of them with em split a metre apart & a metre away from you they'll do a grand job.

If you plan on splitting them further apart than that & want anything approaching room filling sound the edifiers will just kill them stone dead.

The edifiers are more akim to real mini bookshelf home audio speakers.
They're still classed as 'near field' speakers like the t40's but the fact is theyre a lot more multi purpose imo.

Bigger solid mdf cabimet , bigger bass driver , front firimg bass reflex port.
Just plain better overall , the only reason I'd go for the t40's is the smaller size (if necessary) & the aesthetics.

Just found the 1600t's for a tenner more.
Ive not personally heard them but they have the same driver configuration , bigger amp & deeper cabinet than the 1280's.

Theyre normally £30-40 so I would assume 100% that theyre worth an extra £10.

Edifier R1600T III Home Audio Speakers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HRRNFCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dEnAAbDM6FS8H

Speakers & amp ?? So you'd have £150 to spend ??

If so doable but not sure you'll match those edifiers on absolute quality.

Second hand home audio amp would be best bet & then the best speakers you can get with the budget that's left.

Im mobile bound at the minute mate but Ill have a looksie for you a little later on.

If you were anyhwere near Nottingam I have a garage full of older home audio stuff.

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

Thanks a lot, I can wait so once you've found something let me know please I appreciate it a lot :). You say you have a garage full of older home audio stuff? Does that mean you would be willing to sell something decent or? Trying to understand what you're trying to say here haha. I live in Huddersfield so it's only hour and a half away. Also I don't mind having second hand speakers/amp, don't care if it's new as long as it works well and doesn't look really bad from a lot of usage.

Go with used gear.
Used passive speakers will likely be better than the new ones you can afford. Age doesn't matter as much as condition so even a 20-30 year old speaker will work fine. A used amp is a bit more problematical as there can be age related problems and repairs can often be more than the amp or received is worth.
Overall you will get much better sound. Easier to upgrade later and you can resell the used gear for what you paid (or close to it).

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

What do you think I should be looking for when looking for used speakers? Which specifications do you think I should pay the most attention to?

Back again,yeah I have used stuff mate,some wharfedale diamonds & some old delta 30.2's,also some crystals which are way way too big for what you're after
Also a couple of amps/recievers,pioneer sx227,& a panny 5.1 reciever.

Huddersfield is a fair old round trip mate for something you 'might' want.

You can probably find decent stuff in your own area.

These popped up at rochdale & they look in obscenely good condition to be fair (guy still has the box on the pics)

https://en.shpock.com/i/Wmi97ATZSDgvR5f_/

Second hand amps (as americanaudiophile says) are another matter. You never really know what condition they're in or what hammer they've had in the past.

Those mordaunt's are worth a look though for £60 - Id offer £50 myself though.
The titanium cones mean theyre fairly impervious to any kind of damage & age wise if they're looked after they have pretty much an infinite lifetime.

You need a good amp to power them though,some cheap tat isnt going to cut it in all honesty.

Inv3rtis

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

Okay so what sort of amp do you think I should be looking for it i was to get those speakers? I'm guessing I should probably get a brand new one from what you're saying since it's a risk buying a second hand one?