Help me decide between this 2 laptops. (Programming/Gaming)

SebMek

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi, I'm looking for help because I can't decide between 2 laptops. I need a laptop to programming and a little bit of gaming (any new game). I only have 600$ so I found this 2 laptops but I can't decide because I need to dual-boot Windows 7/8 and Linux (Maybe Ubuntu). So, I don't know wich will be better for me. I don't care if one of these have a 500GB HDD, I'll use an external HDD and later I'll buy an mSata SSD. thanks.

Acer E1-472G-6648 14" Specs:
- Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6 GHz (3 MB Cache)
- 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
- 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
- 14-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M
- Windows 8.1, 4-hour battery life

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HC3498M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=NQZWKTOL0WHC&coliid=I2S7QLZCU95OQQ

Acer Aspire V5-552G-X852 15.6" Specs:
- AMD Quad-Core A10-5757M 2.5 GHz Processor (4 MB Cache)
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- 1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
- 15.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 8750M
- Windows 8, 4.5-hour battery life

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNPD1WG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=NQZWKTOL0WHC&coliid=I2CFVBU0YC4FW7

Solution
Well, Programming is from my view more CPU intensive such as compiling and debugging. Unless you were to make an extremely GPU intensive program such as intense 3D Games. So from a programming aspect I would go for the Acer E1. But as you said you wanted to play "New games", I would go for the V5. As the "E" in "E1" means everyday. They suck A*s at gaming. So if you spend more time programming go for the E1 as the Intel processor is more bite than the AMD. But If you spend most of your time gaming I would go for the V5 as the integrated GPU will give you more "Bite".

All regards,
-James

SebMek

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I already have a desktop (i5 3570K, 16GB ram, SSD, AMD 7870, etc etc) Thanks for that but, I'm looking right now for a mid-range laptop because sometimes I'm not at home and I need something that "replaces" my desktop. ;)

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
If I were you I would go with the Aspire in this case. It's got a larger hard drive, larger screen, a better battery, and much more powerful graphics. For any type of gaming you would need to go with the second one to get decent performance. Also, another thing I can tell, the Intel CPU is only dual core with hyperthreading, while the AMD one has four actual cores, which makes a big difference, and while core-to-core the AMD will lose to Intel, overall, the AMD laptop (Acer Aspire) Will be better for you.

jammy12789

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Well, Programming is from my view more CPU intensive such as compiling and debugging. Unless you were to make an extremely GPU intensive program such as intense 3D Games. So from a programming aspect I would go for the Acer E1. But as you said you wanted to play "New games", I would go for the V5. As the "E" in "E1" means everyday. They suck A*s at gaming. So if you spend more time programming go for the E1 as the Intel processor is more bite than the AMD. But If you spend most of your time gaming I would go for the V5 as the integrated GPU will give you more "Bite".

All regards,
-James

Solution