HELP! Phenom x2 550 (OC vs. Unlock)

aserate

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
When I OC it, i reached up to 3.6ghz @ stock voltage (1.35v) with a temp range of 28c idle to 48 peak.

When unlocking to tri-core (4th core not possible), i get a stable 3.5ghz @ stock voltage. BUT the thing is, I can't monitor my temps cos the temp sensor won't function when unlocking.

So, can someone tell me which is better to do? and which faster? OC or Unlock it to tri core?

And oh, comparing (OC/unlock @ stock 1.35v) VS. (stock 3.1ghz @ stock 1.35z), is the power consumption the same even when the voltage is not raised? 'Cos I won't bother OC/unlocking from the start if my monthly bills will raise.

(sorry for the bad english :/)

Solution

I never overclock on the stock heatsink. To me peace of mind is worth $50. But since you were running at 3.6 with two cores, I'm sure have you a ballpark idea of OC temps.

So lets say the avg gaming machine pulls about 400W fully loaded. Thats only when you're gaming. typically...

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

Triple core at 3.5 is better. Many software titles are utilizing 3 cores now or even four. A dual core is not really recommended for gaming anymore. Its true you won't be able to monitor temps now, but as long as you have faith in your cooler I'd go with the 3 cores, no question.

Interesting question about the Voltage. I wouldn't worry about the power bill though, you're only talking about 95W to something like 120W maybe. Yes, you will draw more power despite not adjusting the voltage. If nothing else, the CPU has another core active plus the overclock means more energy per time unit. The TDP rating applies to an unlocked and stock speed CPU. Unlock and overclock and you're taking the CPU out of that spec.

aserate

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

I forgot to mention I only have a stock fan+heatsink :D will that be ok? That's my main problem, can't monitor the temp xD.

And the thing is, I'm becoming a liability here in our home because I make (by using my desktop) our power bills higher than normal so I'm kinda worried and guilty about it :D. But if the difference is acceptable (little), i can live with that. Is it?

(Yes, you will draw more power despite not adjusting the voltage = sucks :/)

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

I never overclock on the stock heatsink. To me peace of mind is worth $50. But since you were running at 3.6 with two cores, I'm sure have you a ballpark idea of OC temps.

So lets say the avg gaming machine pulls about 400W fully loaded. Thats only when you're gaming. typically you'll idle somewhere between 100-150 watts. email, browsing, homework, etc your video card is just sitting there enjoying some down time. Also if you have cool and quiet enabled, your CPU will power down when not needed. Don't know if that's available when unlocking cores..

But the bottom line is how much will an overclock effect your power bill? Lets say that normally your cpu pulls 95W. Lets say after overclocking and unlocking cores, you now pull 120 W. That is 25W, or about what an extra hard drive would cost you in energy. Just because its rated at 95W TDP, that doesn't necesarily means that's what it pulls from the socket. If you want to see what your looking at, try out this PSU calculator:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

But a more accurate way to see how much energy you are using during idle and load, get yourself a Kiil-a Watt. Its $25, and can save you alot in energy costs by simply figuring out which appliances waste the most energy. Also unplugging things from outlets not in use can save as well, even if its off there is still juice being used. Some folks have saved significant amts of energy by simply unplugging things in their home.

25/400W = .0625X100%= 6.25% increase in Wattage. Its an insignificant amount of your total power bill, so no need to feel guilty. But if you are truly concerned, I would enable cool and quiet and shut down the machine when not in use. Others will notice if you generally keep it on most of the time.

Solution

aserate

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Maybe I'll try a 2-month experiment. A month without OC-ing, and another month OC-ing. Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

That would be fine but I'm telling you-ya won't notice a difference. If there's a difference in your power bill, you can be sure to attribute it to something else. A light bulb would be a more significant source of energy loss.