Help picking camera from list (or another one)

ThatGeekMatt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Note: I haven't owned that good of a camera before, but I'm not new to photography.

For a long while I've been looking at getting a good camera and my budget is now relatively okay, I've had a look at a lot of cameras and I really am struggling to find one that suits me best.

I enjoy making short films (I'm helping my friend pass his film studies course :p) and doing photography in my free time (which I can have a lot of sometimes), so honestly I would like the best of both worlds for the budget I'm in.

So far, the following cameras have caught my attention for various reasons:
-Canon 80D
-Sony A6500
-Panasonic GH5
-Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

One feature present on most of these cameras is the ability to record in 4K, which is something that definitely interests me, but if the 80D is good enough that I won't be too bothered about the 4K then I'm okay with it. I also like the 120FPS on the A6500, but seems like something that is hard to find in my budget.

Up to this point I have been doing a lot of animal photography (not like safari photography, but more like taking pets out for a photo shoot (swimming, running, etc.)), nature photography and portraits.

As for lenses, I honestly don't see myself buying lenses apart from probably a macro or wide-angle lens.

As I've been typing this the A6500 has been selling itself to me but I fear there may always be things that I'm missing.

Edit: Probably a stupid question but can the A6500 do manual focusing?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Solution

Right. Within a certain price range and with similar lenses, picture quality will be similar.
But this camera may do better video, while that camera may do slightly better in low light, while another may do faster shots per second.

All depends on what is important to you.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right. Within a certain price range and with similar lenses, picture quality will be similar.
But this camera may do better video, while that camera may do slightly better in low light, while another may do faster shots per second.

All depends on what is important to you.

Solution