Help! Which TV to buy???

rhrob23

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I am considering purchasing the LG 50PS60. It will be $1500 which I believe is a good deal but I'm unsure of two things. The TV will be going into our family room which is full of windows and has a railing behind where we sit. On our current TV this results not only in a glare but also a reflection of the railing onto the TV. This is why we are purchasing a new TV. I have read that with plasmas there can be a glare issue but also a wider viewing angle and our other sofa sits at an angle (up to about 160 degrees or so). I know that the TV I am considering is a newer model and it has an auto adjustment to light conditions. We will be sitting about 11 ft from the television. I really need help ion deciding if this TV will be a good purchase. I feel like we have so many things to take into consideration, I don't know which one will be the best fit. In summary - 11" from TV, lots of light, glare and reflection on current TV, need wide viewing angle. I am in a time crunch because today is the only day to get the LG at that price (3/20) Will it work or wil it not? Should I go with an LCD or Plasma? Help???
Thanks so much

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You really need to talk to sales on their return or exchange policy. You're the only person who can answer that question as preference differ from person to person.

Ask them if they'll accept returns if the TV didn't meet you expectation?

If you read others post you'll notice that most would say plasma has better picture quality than LCD. and that LCD is brigther than Plasma.

Things that you're considering is hard to recomend since even Tube screens have problems with bright lights.

You might want to cosider to have blinds or darker curtains you can close over the window.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

^+1. I have a similar situation with my family room - 2-story windows on either side of the fireplace, and my LCD TV mounted above the fireplace (had the builder run a cable TV & power outlet there :) ). Since those windows face southeast, there is a ton of morning sun coming in. Unless I draw the drapes, I have to set the TV to use the super-bright setting (basically color & brightness pushed to near the max).