Help with AMD RX460 4gb display driver

mattieboo

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hi guys, really getting frustrated with the laptop and was wondering if I could get some insight.

First of all, I just got the Dell 15 5000 Series Gaming Notebook with A10-9630P (2.6GHz), 8GB of DDR4 RAM, RX 460 4GB gpu with Windows 10.

I'm trying to run simple games like CS:GO and even on the lowest settings, I only get 20~30 fps, which leads me to believe that the integrated GPU is being used, instead of the discrete GPU (I got way better fps on my old laptop with gtx850m). The following is the breakdown of what I did so far:

1. So I've been trying to find a way so that the discrete gpu can be used as opposed to the integrated gpu and some dude says the following: "Speaking of detection, it's true the game will ONLY notice the R7 graphics since the RX 460 is more like an add-on graphic cards and NOT the switchable graphic card which turns on when certain apps (or games) activate it.".

2. Since he also provided a solution by uninstalling everything using "AMD Clean Up Utility", reinstall the Radeon Software link for my APU and restart the computer, I followed his procedures.

3. After the steps above and rebooting my computer, when I try to access Radeon Settings, I got an error saying "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

4. Having encountered this problem, I go to "device manager" and on there, I see the warning/exclamation mark sign on both the integrated gpu (AMD Radeon R5 Graphics) and
the discrete Graphics. (Radeon RX 460 Graphics).

5. When I try updating the discrete gpu only, it causes a problem saying there's a problem with RX 560 Graphics (I have a RX460 though?). Now the discrete gpu's name changes to RX 560 Graphics and the warning/exclamation mark sign remains.

When I update the integrated gpu, all works fine and the warning/exclamation mark sign is now gone on both gpus. Discrete GPU's name changes to RX 460 Graphics card and Radeon Settings is now accessible.

6. After going into Radeon Settings, I go to Additional Settings and change everything to max performance (even added CS:GO on the application to set it to high performance). However, after doing all this, fps still remains at 20~30.

I was wondering if anyone could provide information on how to change so that the disgrete gpu is the primary gpu, Also, if my steps were incorrect, please direct me the correct way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Did you install the drivers from AMD or from the laptop vendor? If from AMD, uninstall all the drivers and AMD software, uninstall the card from device manager, download the video drivers from the laptop vendor and install those. See if that helps.

If it does not, since the laptop seems new, contact the vendor for support, the video card may be bad.
Did you install the drivers from AMD or from the laptop vendor? If from AMD, uninstall all the drivers and AMD software, uninstall the card from device manager, download the video drivers from the laptop vendor and install those. See if that helps.

If it does not, since the laptop seems new, contact the vendor for support, the video card may be bad.

Solution