Help with antivirus.

NovaTronMC

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
I just got a pc 2 months ago and it came with 2 month free norton, but now in 5 days it will be over, and i dont know which antivirus i need, all i want its max protection, perfomance and the option of analyzing documents.

Solution
Personally, I'd say no. Go with a free anti-virus program (e.g. AVG Free), a free anti-malware program (e.g. MalwareBytes) and plenty of due vigilance (don't surf where you shouldn't be. Don't download what you shouldn't download. Manually run frequent scans). Neither will make your system 100% safe, but if you're not willing to take matters into your own hands, then yes. I'd recommend Norton 2015.

-Wolf sends

NovaTronMC

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014

I dont care if i have to pay but i want maxium security, also i was thinking if i change to Bitfender Total Security 2015 or Norton 360 2014 that i found in a shop at %50 sale, which would you recommend me?

NovaTronMC

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014

So you recommend me Norton? And, should i get it 2014 or 2015?

Personally, I'd say no. Go with a free anti-virus program (e.g. AVG Free), a free anti-malware program (e.g. MalwareBytes) and plenty of due vigilance (don't surf where you shouldn't be. Don't download what you shouldn't download. Manually run frequent scans). Neither will make your system 100% safe, but if you're not willing to take matters into your own hands, then yes. I'd recommend Norton 2015.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Sc00bi3

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
Norton 360 will have massive amounts of bloat ware as do all Norton antivirus software, and if you do go for Norton , I would not pay more than 20 bucks for it, all anti virus software comes down to under 20 bucks (3 user) at least 6 times a year each, mcafee has been number one for past 3 years now if not more, so anti virus is all you need, Norton always slows down my computers to snail speed, and they will never change their software.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Bitdefender scores on par/better than Norton with performance, depending on your OS, and reliability. McAfee hasn't been rated very high, from the independent results I've seen.

Based on the results I've seen from AV-Comparatives, and AV-Test, Bitdefender or Kaspersky would be the most ideal, if you're paying. I don't recommend Norton, due to their sketchy history; though they may have cleaned up their act over the years. Personally, I wouldn't use anything from Norton/Symantec, if I could help it. I don't trust them, and I don't think anyone should. Any company that has known security compromises is an automatic no-no in my books, until they have properly been under heavy scrutiny, and are no longer considered a potential host for vulnerabilities; and that rarely seems to happen in general.